1. Ferret

Ferret New Member

The parts of your soul you refuse to recognize.

Ferrety Review: Call of Juarez

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Ferret, Jul 16, 2007.

So, to do the A&E beat you need to be able to do a review in 35 minutes. School's starting up again, so I've decided to get back into the swing of things.

Call of Juarez.
    First Person Shooter.
    Xbox 360.
    Score: 8/10
    Call of Juarez is one of the more ambiguous games to come out for the 360; you love this game, or you flat hate it. Lost gold, time manipulation, and a little sexual innuendo all combine to make one of the most average spaghetti westerns ever to grace your console.

The story, which is where the ambiguous part comes in, is fairly well written and told from two completely separate, yet overlapping venues: Reverend Ray, the out law turned priest but still badass, or Billy, a good for nothin’ teenager. Depending on where you are in the story, you will either be playing as Billy, mostly stealth type jargon, avoiding people to steal stuff, and general Fisher impersonation or as Ray, Shoot Kill Shoot Kill ZOMG DEATH IS KEWL. The story tends to overlap: Billy will see Ray pop out of a tunnel and you’ll play the next level as Ray shooting your way through the tunnel. That kind of stuff.

The gimmick: time distortion. Gee, that’s original, right? Well, actually, this time it is, sort of. When playing as Ray, you can fire your two guns independently with the right and left triggers, and, in …concentration mode (God, I hope some one lost a job over that one) you can aim each weapon independently for a short period of time—it works surprisingly well; when play as Billy you get a bow and can slow down time… whoop tee doo. You get a whip at least.
    Good: I liked the story and the Game in general. The game gives two very diverse play styles.

Bad: The game gives two very diverse play styles. You can’t shoot dead bodies… or horses... or people who aren’t holding guns.

Graphics: Good, but they aren’t mind blowing. Detail is prevalent, and the draw distance is great.

Sound: Decent, but it could be better.

Gameplay: Linear paths detract from the games awesomeness. The dueling system is a complete rip from Red Dead Revolver, only prettier. The levels are huge, but only have one path, with the exception of a level that has you going all over the place, but that one was boring as hell.

Story: Billy shows up, empty handed from treasure hunting, to find his family dead, Ray thinks he did it, Ray chases him way the hell across the west.

2. Frost

Frost Active Member

Not a bad review, however, I would make it more official. This struck out especially:
    That seems as a very unproffesional manner of description, to me, and if I were to read that in a magazine or something, I'd be thoroughly unimpressed.
    But apart from that it's decent.

3. Ferret

Ferret New Member

The parts of your soul you refuse to recognize.
    Thanks, and to be clear, I'm looking for a crituque. I'm just posting these to get some discussion about the games...

I don't mind advice, either, though. Just talk about the game is what I'm asking...