1. Manic Writer

Manic Writer New Member

Fictional phone numbers in the UK

Discussion in 'Research' started by Manic Writer, Dec 13, 2011.

I just found the following information on the Ofcom website (Ofcom is the UK's communications regulator) covering the use of fictional phone numbers in the UK. For full details, Google "Ofcom fictional phone numers and it will come up as the first result (WF rules don't allow me to post links)

Telephone Numbers for use in TV and Radio drama programmes

Ofcom continues to receive requests for Geographic Numbers to be used for drama purposes. In light of this, Ofcom has set out below a range of Geographic Telephone Numbers recommended for drama purposes (1000 numbers within each Geographic Area Code).

Notes:

1. Ofcom has not selected a Telephone Number range for all Geographic Area Codes as it has to ensure that there is sufficient numbering capacity available to meet future requirements for 'real' telephony purposes - Telephone Numbers recommended for drama purposes cannot be allocated to Communications Providers for their customers because of the potential influx of calls that customers may receive should their Telephone Numbers be shown in a drama.

2. Ofcom suggests using numbers in the 01632 range (no area code) for any Geographic Area Code not listed.

3. The use of any Telephone Number in the ranges below does not imply that the number has been allocated. the numbers will not be allocated to Communications Providers in the foreseeable future.​

(See the ofcom web site)

Other Telephone Numbers

Mobile 07700 900000 to 900999

Freephone 08081 570000 to 570999

Premium Rate Services 0909 8790000 to 8790999

2. cruciFICTION

cruciFICTION Contributor Contributor

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fictitious_telephone_number

That, right there, is a brilliant page. It has Australia, America, UK, and so on. The Australian one gets more coverage than others. I don't know why. :love: my country.

I never really thought about this, though. I like that governments actually think about this.