1. Lilly James Haro

Lilly James Haro The Grey Warden

Contest Winner! Fiction Contest #25 - Well Done Chained!

Discussion in 'Bi-Weekly Flash Fiction Contest Archives' started by Lilly James Haro, Oct 18, 2015.

Congratulations to the newest winner of the Flash Fiction Contest, @Chained who wrote the entry, Untitled. Well Done! Thank you to all who read the entries and voted as well as the runner up, @GingerCoffee who wrote The End. Both entries were brilliant and it was a tough competition!

@Wreybies, if you could please present the medal :)

2. Lilly James Haro

Lilly James Haro The Grey Warden

Here is the winning entry!

"So all this is going to be... food?" It seemed outlandish to the boy who'd never known the world before the blackout; a child who's only food before that point had come out of cans and bags.

The field, still clear of any overly large trees, was in great shape for planting. There had been few signs of wild animals when Chad had first reconed the area and even those vanished once the giant fertalizers were moved in.

"No, not all of it, just some." Chad thought about explaining acres to his younger brother, but decided against it. He'd just spent the last half hour on what a 'sky' was and that needed time to digest.

"But that's what all this upper world is for right?" The boy was being curious; curiosity used to be encouraged in the old word- before the questions had disastrous answers. These were not questions about strings or theories of alternate dimensions though; Chad could answer these.

"Well, we don't need that much anymore; that much food could feed a city." A city with more options than wheat and potatoes.

"What's a city?"

"I keep forgetting how young you are." Chad made a mental note as he ruffled the boy's hair to teach him about cities from the ground up on the way back.

"I'm not a kid just because i don't know stuff!"

"Relax, its fine. A city is a place where a lot of people gathered and lived." Those experiences were the difference between those born in the vault and those who had lived in the real world; once the old died off, would all the small parts of that old existence even have mattered?

"Really? How many? Thirty? Forty?"

"Sometimes a million." Chad wasn't really sure about city populations, but it felt like a really solid guess.

"Didn't they know that was dangerous? That's how the germs spread."

"They thought they knew." And they had been very, very wrong.

"If there were so many," the young one looked around, if there had been a million people alive at one point then surely he'd see one now, "Where'd they all go?"

"What's our rule in the vault?"

"Use everything four times more than you should, and twice more than you can."

"Good, you're listening. If you spent half as much time listening as you did asking, you could be teaching me something right now."

"You didn't answer my question."

"They're with us, helping to rebuild humanity." The survivor, one of too few, let the freshly ground mulch sift through his fingers, "They're here in the ghost fields."

3. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

I loved it. And I'm shocked anyone voted for my story let alone four people. I voted for your story @Chained. The ending was clever. :agreed:

4. Mumble Bee

Mumble Bee The writer formerly known as Chained. Contributor

I won one! I just want to thank Writing Forms, my friends (if i had any) and most of all a very low amount of participation in this contest.

Thanks for keeping my hope alive. :)

GingerCoffee likes this.
  5. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Your story was good. :agreed: I don't think low writer turn out was the reason you won.

Mumble Bee likes this.
  6. bumble bee

bumble bee Member

Congratulations! I really enjoyed both stories but voted for @Chained in the end- good voter to entry ratios too!

GingerCoffee likes this.