1. Flubagalub

Flubagalub New Member

Help with Perspective and POV

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by Flubagalub, Oct 13, 2008.

The story I am currently working on is a superhero story with me as the main character (it's a comedy, by the way). I have already decided that I would use first person perspective, and have already done the first chapter. The main problem I'm having is with the villain. My character is not present when the villain gets his powers, so I knew I was going to have to write from the villain's perspective for at least a chapter. I have already written most of that chapter, right up to the point where he's just about to receive his powers. I have so far been writing his chapter in first person as well, but I'm not so sure that it's a good idea.

At the start of the first chapter I explain who I am, and at the start of the second chapter the villain's wife calls out to him, so you should know whose perspective those two chapters are from. However, I am worried that I am going to have to explain which character is the viewpoint character for every single chapter, and as it is in first person it could seem a bit unnatural and annoying for the reader.

One possibility is to just use the villain's perspective for that one chapter, so I wouldn't have to switch perspectives again, but then it might seem strange that I have only made one chapter from his point of view.

Another option would be to have the villain in third person, but I'm not so sure that having one character in first person and other in third would really work all that well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Beth

Beth Member

Hum... yes, it would be weird to have only one chapter written in 3rd person or from a different POV.
    Have you thought about:

1- Get the MC dreaming how the villain gets his powers
    2- Get the MC reading it somewhere
    3- Get someone telling the story to the MC

This is my suggestion.