1. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

Nabokov explained

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by 123456789, Feb 27, 2015.

Everything I knew in my heart about Nabokov's literature is perfectly (and coherently) explained here in words. This is what literary experts are for. I'm still trying to digest all of it.

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/books-and-arts/nabokovs-puppet-show-part-ii

(I did not include part I as it more introductory, but it's easy to find just google part I)

Lemex and peachalulu like this.
  2. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Thank you very much for posting this. I've been meaning to get into Nabokov, I've not read anything by him beside a lecture on Kafka, and this should serve me well when I eventually get around to him. I've favourited it. :)

3. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I've read parts of Speak, Memory, and it's amazing how an autobiography can be written so beautifully (just like his fiction). He really was a very talented writer.

4. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

He was an excellent critic too, with a fantastic taste in literature. It's hard to believe he was Russian. I know he was an aristocrat, but back in his day the Russian nobility looked to France and the French more than English. For him to become so adept at not only French, but also English, and (obviously) German ... that's one hell of a mind for learning languages!

5. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

I haven't read the two posts yet but I've saved them. I like reading stuff about Nabokov - he's one of my favorites. Recently, I've been reading a book called Freud and Nabokov which is quite fascinating. I had to re take it out because I hadn't finished it. Nabokov was not a fan of Freud - lol. So it makes for an interesting clash of ideas.

6. Frazen

Frazen Member

I have not read his works but I don't feel good about him, for what he said about Dostoyevsky(my favorite and most loved author).

7. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

His opinion about Dostoevsky shouldn't influence you one way or the other. We all like certain writers and hate others. All I know is that Nabokov is one of the best writers ever. Few writers can match his use of language. He's definitely worth reading.

Lemex likes this.
  8. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

I like Dostoevsky and Nabokov both. Totally different types of writers, of course. Not many people are in Nabokov's league when it comes to use of the language.

9. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Reminds me of Conrad. I think English was his third language.

Lemex likes this.