1. JetBlackGT

JetBlackGT Contributing Member

Fill the page or leave it blank?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by JetBlackGT, Jan 11, 2015.

When you are writing; do you feel more comfortable with a blank page in front of you, with words at the top or is it mentally easier with the page full of words and your text appearing at the bottom?

Sitting closer to a laptop screen makes me want the words closer to the top (so I can see them) and I feel more comfortable filling a blank page. But I have to keep scrolling down and then back up, to move the words to the top. But I wonder about the psychology of a blank page. I like it. I know some writers have mentioned the dread of seeing a blank page which needs to be filled.

[digression alert]

NEEDS to be filled. If there was an ED version of writing, I think some would get it from the anxiety of seeing all that empty space that must be filled.

Alas, there is no medication for that... but now I am making up terrible puns of what the name of it would be :)

WB (Writer's Block) treatment emails in my junk mail folder....

"Scribalis. For whenever the urge to write, strikes."

2. Chinspinner

Chinspinner Contributing Member Contributor

I have my word processor in print layout. If it doesn't look like a page (or as it would on paper) it looks odd to me.

This comes above any psychological need to avoid a blank page seeming an insurmountable obstacle.

3. cutecat22

cutecat22 The Strange One Contributor

I have it in print layout too, so I can see it as an A4 page.

I both love and fear the blank page but I've never given any thought to having the space at the bottom or the top as I type. I do like to zoom in a little so that the page just about fills the width of the laptop screen and when I start typing, I don't stop.

Hmmm. x

JetBlackGT likes this.
  4. Void

Void Contributing Member

Truly, I've never even thought about it before, which I guess means I probably don't care one way or another. To be honest, I really don't see it in terms of pages that need to be filled, but rather as a continuous stream of text that makes up a chapter.

5. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

I like the idea of a blank page, honestly, it makes me feel like I'm accomplishing something to see that space get filled.

JetBlackGT likes this.
  6. Gladiatrix

Gladiatrix Member

I've never really thought about it, usually I just type to get the basic story out of my head and then after go back and change everything because when I dump into the page me spelling and grammar is awful!

JetBlackGT likes this.
  7. ChaosReigns

ChaosReigns Be Still and Know Contributor

i like at least something at the top, even if its just New Chapter just to get the ideas flowing.

JetBlackGT and Shadowfax like this.