Finally gave in and read Harry Potter (and the Sorceror's Stone)

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by TDFuhringer, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Luna13

Luna13 Active Member

Good for you! HP is among my favorite books. It makes me happy when I hear about someone who appreciates it because of the book itself. Too many people see the movies without reading the books, or say now that there is no point reading it now that all the movies are out and and there's no more hype about it.

2. Rebel Yellow

Rebel Yellow Active Member

The movies can't hold a candle to the books.

3. jkell88

jkell88 New Member

I am most certainly a Harry Potter child. I read the first book in the fifth grade and watched the last movie in college. I agree with the idea that JK Rowling is not the best writer out on the shelves today, but what I love about her is that she never claimed to be. The stories speak for themselves in terms of entertainment value but also inspired an entire generation to put away the laptop and read. That impact alone makes me a fan. Also, as a sidenote, I am excited to see someone else mention the name Diane Duane. I have been a Young Wizards fan for many years. The two book series (YW and HP) made such an impact on me that I went as far as designing a tattoo and having it placed on me to incorporate both.

4. Rebel Yellow

Rebel Yellow Active Member

Prose isn't everything in storytelling. Being the best writer doesn't mean you have the ability to captivate the attention of millions of people.

5. rick_danger

rick_danger Member

I could never get into harry potter.

6. emines

emines New Member

Yes, and Rowling is quite a genius too. She studied Classics in college. There's a youtube video of her speaking at Harvard's Commencement Ceremony - check it out!

7. E. C. Scrubb

E. C. Scrubb Active Member

I'm a bit older, and was never interested in reading the Harry Potter series until about two years ago. I have since finished the series two or three times. Personally, I disliked the first two books and almost quit the series. I had a few friends however, that told me they felt the same way and to keep reading, so I did, and found that JKR started hitting her stride in the third book and really took off in the fourth book. Of course, the last forty or so pages of book seven, I won't discuss.

I've already read twilight about the same amount of times, and besides some of the pedantic writing (yeah, that's the pot calling the kettle black), I don't get what a lot of the criticism is about. Then again, I see a lot of deeper meaning and themes running throughout the series (especially starting in the second book), which people often don't explore. I find it sad, because the way she handles the fate vs. free choice discussion is quite fascinating, I believe. I think that all plays into the "neediness" of Bella, because it's just more than emotion, it's a supernatural/fatalistic drive that she is experiencing, and reaping the repercussions of when it seems to be going off course. It's why the language she uses concerning Edward, is the same language the Pack use when talking about imprinting.

One other note between the two - JKR hit her stride in the fourth book she wrote, and it was books four through seven that really propelled her and the story. Stephenie Meyer only wrote four books in her entire series (and they were her first four books as well). When comparing books 1-4, there's not as much of a difference between them as some make out, I believe.

8. Quinn T. Senchel

Quinn T. Senchel New Member

You were a deprived child! I grew up having the books read to me in school when I was very young. I know it sounds silly but in a way I feel that Harry and his friends aged with me. To me, Harry in the 7th book has matured greatly since the first books and it feels as though we grew up together. They're nostalgic, magical, and I love the world Rowling built.

I normally read trendy books because they're usually good, but then I made the mistake of reading that rubbish known as Twilight. Because of it's trendiness, I also began reading A Game of Thrones. So far I find it's a bore.

9. ezzz

ezzz New Member

I am a huge Harry Potter fan. Not only because I grew up reading them, but because the story itself and the detail Rowling puts into each and every one of the books is something you can appreciate no matter what age you are. In no way do I think they should be labelled books just for children, as it seems to me that the books grow with their readers.

10. Padfoot

Padfoot New Member

I got the first book for an 8 yr old when I was 11. I wasn't very fond of the first book, I actually had a hard time with the first chapters. But I quickly became hooked. When a book came out, I would get it that day, and read it until I was done. My parents would tell me off for it all day, I'd eat while I read, missed out on sleep. It was ridiculous, but I just had this hunger with them, bit obsessive I suppose. I still read them. I have copies in my car in case I get stuck some where, some in my house. I'm a very big Potterhead nerd though.

I see flaws in it, of course. Especially after reading it so many times. :)

11. HongKong

HongKong New Member

I just can't get along with books meant for teens so I got the first book and read it, sorry didn't like it but hopefully learned something.

12. eclipsenow

eclipsenow New Member

I'm intrigued: I haven't read them, but you found the writing that obviously bad? Can you remember what stood out to you as being so bad, so on the nose, that you had to abandon it on the first page? While my head is bursting with ideas for a teen book I've been thinking through for about 2 years now, I'm just terrified that I'll write it and then people will smile politely, but put it down after the first few pages and ask: "Do you really want to give up your day job?"

13. Padfoot

Padfoot New Member

my biggest issue with Twilight was the character development. Edward was way too perfect and Bella lacked any real depth. Honestly, if she had spent more time on it the books might not have been as bad. I found them entertaining enough to finish the series, but it's not something I'd recommend.

14. Bethany Lauren Birley

Bethany Lauren Birley New Member

Harry Potter is brilliant, my god where have you been for the last 15 years? It's so cool, seriously brilliant set of novels. I understand not wanting to read what everyone else likes but even top literature critics have been raving about this.

15. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

I think with things like that, you just need an element of blind belief sometimes. Going forward, always believing that even if you're not "there" yet, you WILL get there one day if you just keep working towards it.

But really, regardless of whether you're a good or bad writer - even if you're an excellent writer - most would still advise you not to give up your day job :D It's not a reflection of the quality of your writing always, it's a reflection of how tough it is to make money - or get published at all - in the industry.

So have some faith in yourself and write. Write and write and write until you're ready to receive feedback, take the blows head on, rant and cry about the criticism for a few days, then come back and do the polishing, and then you sit down and you be proud of your work!

16. Fairydust

Fairydust New Member

I picked up the first Harry Potter book years after it had been published in the airport as it was staring me in the face, I'd heard alot about it and I didnt't have time to stop and choose something. So, instead of enjoying xmas with my family, I was sat at the dinner table with my nose stuck in a book. It was seriously that good. And I read all the rest in a two week period!

17. Prism

Prism Banned

Welcome to the party! A bit more than casually late, but you know how the saying goes. :p
    It's actually too bad you decided to start so late, because it was tremendously exciting speculating and following the series/movies while they were coming out. On the other hand, you may perhaps be able to avoid the crushing bittersweet feeling at the conclusion of it all...

I've sort of fallen into the habit of reading titles if they come up enough. Not to say I go out of my way to find out what's popular, not at all. But if I can't click two buttons without SOMEONE mentioning a series/title/what have you, after some time -- months, perhaps even years -- I eventually become curious as to what all the hype's about, begin thinking that it certainly couldn't be THAT good...right? I've only been disappointed once.