1. Roland of Gilead

Roland of Gilead New Member

Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Roland of Gilead, Jun 2, 2010.

I just finished reading this book today, and was wondering if anybody else here had read it, and what they though of it.

For those who haven't read it, it is like a series of interlocking stories. Almost like those Russian dolls, where you open it up and there's a series of smaller dolls. The first story is a journal, which is being read by a character in the second story, which is a series of letters to a character in the third story, etc. It's quite phenomenal, and I highly suggest it.

2. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I've heard of it, and seen it around, but I've not picked it up yet.

3. funkybassmannick

funkybassmannick New Member

I'm almost done with this book, and loving it. I can't wait for the movie to come out!

4. moscowwoah

moscowwoah New Member

I'm starting it in the next couple of days. Hoping for Friday.

5. remiojones

remiojones New Member

I read Cloud Atlas about a month ago. I had been putting it off for quite some time due to people telling me that it was a difficult book. Reading the first chapter I was quite nervous fearing that I was missing something. I soon realized that my friends were probably talking about the structure because the five stories are simply told and easily followed.

In many ways it was a simple book showing the interconnectedness of life. It's a romantic story though not really about romantic love. I really enjoyed it. So much so that I immediately bought his first book Ghostwritten. Ghostwritten carries the same theme but written in a more direct way. I preferred Ghostwritten.

The author is definitely on my buy and read the first day it's published list.

6. darkhaloangel

darkhaloangel Active Member

I instantly thought it was rather clever - but I didn't enjoy reading it, I found it pretty dull. I just couldn't get to like any of the characters. Although I am looking forwards to seeing the film.

7. Allison Currie

Allison Currie New Member

I listened to it as an audio book (I have a long commute) and I really enjoyed it. It was harder to enjoy when the language was old fashioned (and maybe only because I was driving and trying to listen at the same time) but that gave it a legit flavor, and while it felt wordy in those sections I still got the story and liked it. Overall I found it very entertaining and, well, far too plausible for comfort...

Oh and I was completely confused when it jumped suddenly to the next setting! I figured it out later but at first I wrote an angry letter in my head to Audible about how the book skipped ahead mid chapter and their download was faulty. :p My fail.

8. EyezForYou

EyezForYou Active Member

The movie sucked so bad.

9. idle

idle Active Member

Did it? I've read some pretty enthusiastic comments (and some less so, too). I haven't seen it myself yet, it only goes to cinemas here this week.

10. Prism

Prism Banned

I was introduced to (the trailer of) the movie a couple of weeks ago, but I had no idea there was a book as well!
    I found myself both confused and intrigued by said trailer, but I have still been wanting to see it. Considering the general rule of thumb when dealing with adaptations, I may have to check this out!