1. July

July New Member

Finally woken up

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by July, Dec 17, 2015.

I have a few English exams coming up over the next two years and whatever I get will go on my record so it will effect the university I go to e.c.t. I woke up this morning and I realized that something had to be done about my writing skills, and so I searched the web for the best websites and I stumbled across this one. I am hoping that over the course of a year I am able to boost my English writing skills to the A standard. Whether this is possible or not I will never know unless I try.

2. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

Much as I always love to see new members of the forum, if getting an A grade is your goal for your English exams, getting involved in internet forums is really not the way to go... Come on here to ask a few specific questions, sure, but just watch it doesn't become an excuse to procrastinate from actual study. Reading forum posts written with sometimes questionable grammar and almost always written in conversational style isn't going to improve your academic English skills.

If you're serious, bother your teacher, ask him questions, take his feedback seriously. Get hold of your reading lists and read them studiously. Get hold of past papers and study them, do them and then mark them yourself and figure out why you didn't get full marks. Get a study partner if you work better with people, bounce ideas off. Go to the library if silence works better for you.

But really - and maybe I'm being a bit old-fashioned now - but get off the internet! o_O Unless you're online to search for something specific and then you turn it off again once you've found your answer.

3. datahound2u

datahound2u Member

Very well said, Mckk! However, I think that just being aware that your skills is the first step (of many) toward a better grade.

Whatever remedies you choose to bolster your writing skills, July, I wish you much success!