?

What is the best route for a first publication?

1. Online

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Print

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. LukeSurge

LukeSurge New Member

Finding a Starting Point

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by LukeSurge, Mar 3, 2015.

I am wanting to write a first book and try to take it to publication. I have been working on a much larger series for many years, but I do not want it to be my first published work, or any book that could be related to the series. So breaking from my norm, I am stumped on what would be good for a first book. I am a fantasy writer, and I have a basic idea for what I want to accomplish with the feel and flow of the story, but I am not sure what things are best incorporated in a first publication experience. Is there anything particular I should know or plan for in writing my first book and in preparing for submitting it to publishers?

2. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

I'm not sure I understand the question... When you say "What would be good for a first book", what exactly are you talking about? Theme? Genre? Topic? Or do you need help with figuring out the actual story?

3. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

I think the same criteria work for first books as work for later books - write something you find interesting, something you have the skill to carry off, and something with a healthy (or at least not totally dead) market.

4. Bryan Romer

Bryan Romer Contributor Contributor

It seems to me that you would want to submit your best work. There is no such thing as a particular style or content requirement for a first novel.

Or perhaps you are saying that you do not want to submit a series as a new author? Even so, submitting the first book of a series for which you have committed much time and thought is better than creating a stand alone novel for which you do not have particular dedication or inspiration merely to test the water.

5. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

There's no formula that guarantees success. You could write a masterpiece and submit to an agent or publisher who'd just signed a book with a similar theme or plot and that would be the only reason they didn't take you on. You could send it to another agent/publisher and they already have their schedule filled. All you can do is write the best book you can and work your ass off finding the right match.

I'm puzzled why you don't want to go with your series, however. Why try to write a book only for the purpose of a "first publication" that may or may not make it, when you already have a series? Seems like a waste of time considering the realistic chances of getting it published.

Also, to your poll: Larger publishers will do both, sometimes separately, sometimes simultaneously. It depends on which format they think will sell better, or if there is a difference.

6. AASmith

AASmith Senior Member

If you have a book series that you and others believe is really great then why wouldn't you want to publish that as your first book? This is a genuine question as I am trying to understand your thought process. It would seem to me that you would want your best work out. However, I suppose you would want to pick a first book that will fit with who you want to be as an author, so if you consider yourself fantasy then stick with a fantasy novel.