1. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

finding free ebooks

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by madhoca, Aug 1, 2011.

I'm about to go on holiday for a month, and I want to download some ebooks for free because I only have 20kg luggage allowance. When I Google there are several sites, but the links are often broken or want you to register. Also, there is lots of trashy stuff but apart from the Gutenburg project (mostly classics) it's hard to find quality novels. Any suggestions?

2. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I think with some things like the Kindle you can download free classics directly into the machine from it's own lists. What are you using?

3. bob smith

bob smith New Member

For me its ManyBooks.net hands down. Lots of good stuff on there to browse through, and easily downloadable for kindle or any other format.

4. LostInFiction

LostInFiction New Member

In the UK the libraries have ebooks that can be lent via the internet. Haven't tried it yet but plan to... if you aren't UK based that may not be helpful unless where you are does a similar service? Figured it was worth a mention...

5. spklvr

spklvr Contributor Contributor

The Gutenberg Project has like over 30 000 books. Can you seriously not find anything you want there? :p

6. madhoca

Thanks! It's the Motorola Xoom I'm trying to get used to--it seems to need everything added before I can read PDF, Kindle, Adobe ebook etc. A bit time consuming but I'm getting there (I'm not totally computer illiterate but I don't know all the terms in English, e.g. in Turkish download and upload is the same word so I never know which is which lol). I'm in England for a short time so I may check out the library idea as well.
    No,Gutenburg doesn't seem to have the authors I was looking for, it's more older works.

7. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Free stuff is generally free because it's out of copyright. That means it's old. If you want newer stuff, you probably won't find it for free because it's still under copyright and you'd be stealing it if you download it.

8. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

if you want a break from novels, email me and i'll send you my 6 e-books that are a collection of most of my writings...

bonnes vacances!

love and hugs, maia
    maia3maia@hotmail.com

9. madhoca

^^ nice, thanks!

10. WriterDude

WriterDude Contributor Contributor

I wrote two e-books ten years ago that were released for free in a .lit-format. (no idea about what format books usually use.). They are fantasy and not any good, but if anyone wants them, PM me for a link. ;)