1. CMastah

CMastah Active Member

Finding specifically teen girls to beta read my work?

Discussion in 'Revision and Editing' started by CMastah, Sep 10, 2015.

*sigh*

So my sister got back from vacation and offered her opinion on my work, right? SHE was the demographic I was aiming for: teenaged girls. My other two beta readers (both guys, one around 30, the other around 40) did NOT like the work but primarily it was because of the character (whom I'll probably still have to fix up, but a little fix up and a complete re-write are two different beasts). If I take the other two older guys' advice, I'm looking at a major re-write with possibly major story changes (one of which would even include changing the narrative to focus on the other MC), but they're not the group I was focusing on. With teenaged girls as the targeted demographic, can anyone point me to such a beta group?

2. uncephalized

uncephalized Active Member

You left out whether your sister thought the work was good.

Also, as a 27yo male I do not know very many teenage girls and certainly none I can think of who would want to beta-read unpublished fiction. Sorry to be unhelpful.

3. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

Your sister must have a lot of teenage girl friends, right?

If it was me, someone with no teenage siblings, I'd probably join some Facebook groups dedicated to books similar to yours, and post a request. I don't know what kind of response I'd get, though.

DefinitelyMaybe likes this.
  4. Jack Asher

Jack Asher Banned Contributor

My niece is exactly 15 years old, and is also a girl. I'll see if she's interested.

5. dreamersky1212

dreamersky1212 Active Member

I am not a teen, but I am that most freakish of all things, an adult (28) that reads YA novels. I have read YA in all of its shapes and sizes, so if you want a beta reader, I'm game.

6. CMastah

CMastah Active Member

Heheh, just noticed, yeah she did like it.

I sat down with my sister and asked her to elaborate on a few points the other two brought up and she shared a few of their complaints. Thankfully though the fact that the MC is a tad timid was fine by her. I'm still going to have to re-write the whole thing but at least there's no worries about the MC's personality. She liked the story but did find at points the MC was acting a little dumb and in other points where another character becaming trusting a little fast.

@Jack Asher and @dreamersky1212 , thanks for the offers, I'm truly grateful, but it seems I really will have to re-write the thing.