1. PeterC

PeterC Active Member

Finding time to write

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by PeterC, May 5, 2014.

I realize this has been talked about before...

I'm very much a hobbyist writer. In fact, before I started on my WIP I didn't think of myself as a writer (of fiction) at all. Of course writing takes time and, while I enjoy it, there is no doubt that it's also work. My problem is that I have other tasks that must be completed that are also intellectually stimulating work. Thus whenever I work on my story I feel a cloud over my head from which a voice emanates saying, "you should really be working on something else." It isn't pleasant, and it takes away from the enjoyment of writing.

Clearly some kind of balance is necessary. My current plan is to just allow myself some limited time for creative writing, even if only 30 minutes per day. That doesn't seem to be working very well for me, though. I'm wondering how others manage this problem.

2. JosephMarch

JosephMarch Active Member

I am brand new to this, and have a house full of children. The only place for any sort of privacy is the bathroom. Not the most comfortable place to sit, but no one seems to ask why you are in there for so long!

3. Vandor76

Vandor76 Contributing Member

Get up 30 mins earlier in the morning to write.
    You should write only AFTER the morning routine. Try the other way once and you will know why :)

Link the Writer likes this.
  4. Mike Kobernus

Mike Kobernus Contributing Member

I got up at 3.15 today. Made tea, checked facebook, then I created a new file and started writing. By 4 AM, I already had 500 words. By 5 AM I was at 2000. Basically, before the baby was up, I had more or less completed a good first draft of a short story of just under 3K. I will sit on it a few days and then come back and do some revision.

This may not work for all, but I find getting up super early is the best time to write.

No one will bother you. There is nothing else that you can do (apart from sleep and you can do that when you are dead) and when you get to work you already feel that you have accomplished something worthwhile.

Give it a try!

5. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributing Member Contributor

For me, 30 minute chunks wouldn't work. I need at least a couple hours of uninterrupted time. But, if I've got a story that absolutely must get out, I do find that I can sit and write it even if there are distractions around. That doesn't work for editing or rewriting, or if I'm having trouble with a story -- at those times, I do need to be by myself. It depends on what your schedule is and who is in your life. Yes, for some people, getting up before everyone else does works. For others, it's writing after everyone else has gone to bed. For me, it's when my kids have gone to school. Summers and holidays are very tough for me to get anything written.

Maybe if the 30 minute chunks aren't working for you, you could find a block of about two hours one day a week.

6. Youssef Salameh

Youssef Salameh Active Member

boredom can't be conquered except by filling ones time through anything he is interested in. Reading gives the person a great passion to write. it gives him literary experience and wisdom, then writing would come easily.
    So, if you don't have the time, a person should carry a sheet of paper and a pen in his pocket. Whenever a good idea comes to his mind, he should never hesitate to write it.

7. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

I started my first novel attempt when my children were both under the age of 10, both had been diagnosed with developmental disabilities, I was climbing the corporate ladder, my wife was launching her teaching career (and she had just been excessed to the poorest congressional district in the country) and both the mayor and governor had committed to making cuts to special education, which meant I was doing a lot of advocacy work. I wrote at night, when my wife and kids were asleep. If my wife was still up, watching television, I wrote with headphones on, listening to Mozart, Vivaldi or Respighi.

Youssef Salameh likes this.
  8. Renee J

Renee J Contributing Member

On weekdays, I write after the kids go to bed. Though, sometimes I fall asleep instead. I do better on weekends unless there are tons of stuff going on.

9. -A-

-A- New Member

I totally understand.
    I feel like I don't have time to write anymore. I work at a full time job + finishing my M.A. at the university.
    I LOVE writing, but I just can't have this free time to myself.
    I published a book in Israel 5 years ago, and wrote another one which I am trying to finish editing, but life just keeps me busy all the time :\

10. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributing Member Contributor

Maybe I'm misreading but this doesn't sound like a problem of finding time to write, but of feeling guilty because you're writing instead of doing something else. Now, assuming that you're getting those other things done that you "must" get done, consider writing your reward for doing so. Then you just have to keep telling yourself you're entitled to that reward. Easier said than done, because people in general seem to love feeling guilty about things.