Fine Movies

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Raven, Apr 23, 2008.

1. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

I am Legend, is based on the 1950s novel and a remake of Omega Man (starring Charlton Heston) and another earlier version, I think starring Vincent Price--I don't recall the title. Unless they changed the plot around a lot (I don't think so too much based on the clips and previews I've seen) it's not really an original plot--nevertheless, a good one.

My wife and I want to watch it, but we'll wait until the DVD goes down in price. The positive comments makes that even more so something we'll do. I suspect it'll be a bit more intense than the earlier film versions.

Terry

2. ILTBY

ILTBY Contributor Contributor

Bah, too true, Converse advertising much?

Even in Zoolander they through in a Starbucks advert after the petrol station explosion.

I've been told Cellular was just a giant ad for Nokia, too, or whichever phone it featured.

3. ValianceInEnd

ValianceInEnd Active Member

It's called the Last Man On Earth, and it does star Vincent Price. Actually, though the story isn't original, all three films are quite different. LMOE as a much sadder ending then the other 2, and I don't get why people think I Am Legend had a sad ending. I thought IAL had a painfully over-hopeful ending that was just too convenient.

4. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi
    I own the movie and that scene made me cry the first time I saw it. The way he begs was completely believable.
    The ending was a little too optimistic for my taste though. Too deus ex machina. Oh well the rest of the movie was good.

5. adamant

adamant Contributor Contributor

I laughed at the mannequin part.

6. Bluemouth

Bluemouth Contributor Contributor

I didn't actually realise it was CGI until after the movie, so I was beyond impressed.

The only thing that disappointed me was the ending. I think they all should've travelled out to the mountains, and then have Will say goodbye. The ending was just too abrupt. I was right into the story!

7. Oasis Writer

Oasis Writer Contributor Contributor

I liked the Three Little Birds thing, though Smith does it almost every movie he's in now.

8. adamant

adamant Contributor Contributor

Three Little Birds?

9. ValianceInEnd

Ugh, was I the only one who was disapointed by the CGI? It was obvious and I really felt they could have done a better job. They just weren't, well, "scary" enough.

10. Oasis Writer

Bob Marley song that has been in a lot of his movies he does. Sharktales, I Am Legend, Pursuit of Happiness, and I think iRobot.

11. ILTBY

ILTBY Contributor Contributor

Mmm, ditto, it was just so earnest and desperate, I found it incredibly emotional.

I too thought the ending was a bit too 'easy', though depressing that he died - I hadn't been expecting it.

12. Raven

Raven Banned

Sadly in the original and the first remake the Omega Man the charactor dies. I actually liked the way he went out it was kind of poetic and a blaze of glory sort of way. He had done as much as he could and found some faith and gave the capsule to the woman letting her and her son escape. Id have to say i liked the ending he knew it was coming and looked death in the face.

As a whole the Will Smith has come a long way since the days of Fresh prince and Men in black the actor has proved to me he has matured in his acting and this film was one of those rare films that sticks in my mind. I've watched it again since. And the impact was still the same for me.

But its the death of Sam that gets me and sticks in my mind the most. But then as I've said my dog is a german shpeard and very loyal to me.

13. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

I prefered the end of the book to be honest. Everyone else I've talked to doesn't seem to have understood it, but I thought it was one of the best endings to a novel I've ever seen.

14. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi
    Raven I liked that fact that Smith died at the end as well. That was well done. And from everything the movie had done up to that point, it was the logical conclusion.
    I just wish that instead of saying "Here is the cure that will save the world." the movie had ended with the survivors getting all of his info and most promising research, giving them a real chance at finding a cure.

15. JMStone

JMStone Member

I Am Legend was the best movie I've seen in the past twelve months, hands down. Haha. Have any of you seen the alternate ending? SO MUCH BETTER! They really should have used it for the real movie. It makes more sense to have that one and connects a lot of questions I'd had like- why is this one infected crazy guy so determined to kill Will? Answered!

As for originality, it wasn't very up there in that department. I found it extremely similar to 28 Days and 28 Weeks... but ah well. Still an amazing movie!

- Jen

16. Bella

Bella New Member

Was no one else completely pissed off at Will's character for not getting off his ass and getting in the vehicle??? HE'S the reason why his dog died. What, he couldn't hop on one foot? He certainly could once they got back to the lab.

The movie had high points, but it was things like that that really aggravated me.

17. ValianceInEnd

Are you kidding me? He got stabbed in the leg! I don't know about you but I think it would be pretty hard to move any part of your body after the shock of a knife blade entering your leg. It would hurt like crazy. And when he gets back to the lab, he's calmed down. When you're in shock you don't exactly have any clue what you're doing.

18. Bella

Bella New Member

Granted. But his life was on the line. Adrenaline should have been pumping. He was about to be torn apart by zombie dogs. At first, I thought he must have injured both of his legs...why else would he just be scooting along on his butt like he's got all the time in the world? When I realized he hadn't, I was.....well, angry.

Poor Sam. :(

19. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

Anyone ever notice the dog always dies?

It sadens me :(

This was an Ok movie though. The ending kind of sucked, was overacted, and corny as crap. Oh well. I've never been to fond of will smith as an actor in general but this was a pretty good flick.

20. Oasis Writer

Juno

Oh, I got the opportunity to watch one of the coolest, original movies I’ve seen in a long time. The writing for this movie was spectacular. Bet you can guess from the title: Juno!

So, what did you all think of it?

21. Oasis Writer

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

Saw this movie too, and I have to admit, I haven't seen a better gory musical in all my life. What are your thoughts of this movie? :)

22. Raven

Raven Banned

I've gotta disagree with you on this one. I actually liked the way he went out it was kind of poetic and a blaze of glory sort of way. He had done as much as he could and found some faith and gave the capsule to the woman letting her and her son escape. Id have to say i liked the ending he knew it was coming and looked death in the face.

23. (Mark)

(Mark) New Member

I really liked it, aside from the soundtrack. There were so many times in that movie that they were needlessly playing mediocre music, and it took away from the actual film itself. Other than that, I really enjoyed it. The actress who played Juno was really talented, and should hopefully go far in Hollywood.

Teen pregnancy is a really taboo topic, so it was nice to see that addressed as well. Where I went to school, it was the sort of thing that was easily brushed underneath the carpet whenever it happened. Our school district didn't even talk about safe sex. When a sizable minority of your student body is engaging in some kind of sexual activity, it's sad how they try and pretend that it's not happening.

24. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

I liked it, a tad weak on the ending and the CGI was a little... too plastic in a sense for me, but he did well and pretty much just like anyone else, I Loved Sam. What's the bet that a rise of German Shepard purchases spied after the movie began screening. I know I woudl of gotten one except I wasn't allowed to. :(

I told my partner that as soon as Will Smiths characters daughter said "look at the butterflies daddy, look at the butterflies!" It was a clue. a piece of the puzzle. I was right.......:D

25. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

LOVED IT! total chick flick! :D watched it at the cinemas with one of my best buds while my Boyfriend went and watched Rambo. My friend wanted to watch Rambo too but she was nice and watched Juno with me! :D The song played at the end of the movie was so sweet, I was tearing up. I swear I would of proposed the second I saw my BF after that movie- but I restrained myself until the FEB 29. :D