1. Sam Fuller

Sam Fuller New Member

Finish first or start second?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Sam Fuller, Sep 26, 2016.

I have a slight dilemma. I am a mature student about to start studying Mathematics at University but I also enjoy writing fiction. I have written a few childrens stories, a novella and have completed the first draft of a ~60,000 word novel. The first draft took six weeks of solid writing and it was an insanely intense, crazy period of my life but I tend not to do things by half... I read a lot about how important it was to leave your first draft alone for a while so I have given it to a select few to read and provide me with feedback (I worked in a way that I wrote everything on paper one day and then typed it up the next, making edits as I went, while all of the background information had been put in place so I had a really solid structure to adhere to).

I find myself now at a crossroads. I wanted to leave the first book 'Blackout' until I finished my first year at university and then I could spend the best part of four months finishing it but that would mean eight months of no writing. In the meantime I have had a few ideas for new stories which I have written down in the Notes section of my phone (hate the thought of forgetting an idea) and one of them is nudging me asking to be written.

Do I wait for the feedback for Blackout and finish that first or shall I leave it alone for a while so that I can come back to it with a fresh mind (I finished writing it a month ago) next May and in the meantime go through my process of creating the structure and first draft of the next story?

Thanks for reading.

Sam

2. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

The responses you get here will quite likely be split. In the end, you have to go with what you most want to do. There is no right or wrong answer.

Good luck.

3. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man Contest Administrator Contributor

I can't see any advantages to waiting, unless you feel you need a break--and it doesn't sound like you do.

In fact, starting a new project is a great way of gaining distance from an old one.

4. BayView

BayView Contributing Member Contributor

The only hesitation I have is your all-or-nothing approach...

If you can work away on writing when you have time this year, I can't see a reason to not do it.

But if you're going to become obsessed with the writing and do nothing but write for six weeks straight, neglecting your classes, etc.... then you should probably hold off.

If you can manage the moderation, why not?