1. TwinPanther13

TwinPanther13 Contributing Member

Finishing a Manuscript

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by TwinPanther13, Aug 28, 2008.

I feel very drained now that I have submitted my manuscript.

I had another story in mind i wanted to start but i am having trouble getting to it cause of this feeling.

Does anyone else fill this way after completing a major work?
    Is it normal ? Should I just take a break for a week before starting something new?

Just looking for others opinions.

2. Scattercat

Scattercat Active Member

It's fairly normal to feel that way after any kind of major achievement. Take a break, go work in the garden or for long walks, and let yourself recharge for a little.

If you're still recharging after a month and a half, then you can start to worry.

3. Kylie

Kylie Contributing Member

Great job! Congratulations! I think that's a natural feeling. Like Scattercat said, Take a break! Give yourself some time off.
    See how you feel afterwards...Don't worry about it now. ;)

4. ciavyn

ciavyn Senior Member

Congrats! You have been working with a deadline and now you are without one - it's normal to feel a bit adrift.

I find when I complete something, I do something to reward myself - it gives you that finished feeling. After that, then jump back in and keep going. Even if you don't feel like it - action proceeds feeling. :) Even with writing....

5. Ungood

Ungood Contributing Member

Congratulation's! I hope all goes well.

And yes, very normal.

6. Michael Davis

Michael Davis Member

Once I finish a MS, I feel like an old rag thats been wrenched repeatedly and tossed into the sink. I get so into the stories, and the tension of the plot, plus the pressure to finish, its very draining. I've written five and have taken one to two month hiatus between each. I can't imagine how people publish 3 or 4 a year (without ghost writers of course).

7. mistressoftheflies

mistressoftheflies Member

First of all, congratulations! :]

Secondly, I agree with the others; take a break. You deserve it after working so hard!
    I'm sure you'll be more eager to start writing again once your brain has had a chance to rest.

8. AnonymousWriter

AnonymousWriter Contributing Member

Congratulations :) It's a good achievement.

Like everyone else has already said: Take a break for while.
    You deserve it, and it will help your next project be written to it's best.

9. tehuti88

tehuti88 Contributing Member

In truth, I usually feel empty and lost after finishing a major work (i. e., I have nothing left to do anymore) and so have to get right to work on something else!

But that's just me and I fully understand feeling drained and needing a break. If that's the state you find yourself in then there's nothing wrong with it. In fact I probably just jump right into the next story because I have nothing better to do with my life!

Taking a break is better than feeling resentful of your next project if you force yourself into starting it too soon.

10. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

speaking as both a mother of 7 and a writer who's turned out too many works to count, i can tell you from personal experience, that after nine months of 'growing' it, then interminable painful hours of labor 'delivering' it, no mother jumps up and is raring to get pregnant again, right away!... does that answer your question?

11. BillyxRansom

BillyxRansom Active Member

There is nothing to worry about, it just means you're procrastinating. Don't procrastinate. Really that simple. In fact I'm going to get back to writing right now. I don't have any set idea or inspiration, but I'm just going to trudge along on it.

12. Scattercat

Scattercat Active Member

You'd think that. I have a really hard time not procrastinating; I can always find a million and one things to distract myself, and suddenly, boom, it's six hours later and it's time to go to bed. (Or rather, about three hours past time to go to bed; that's how good I am at procrastinating!)

I've got myself on a relatively mild "1000 words a day minimum" schedule right now, and I still find myself being kept up until three or four AM before I get the words done.

So to me, a month and a half without writing more would indeed be something to worry about, because it means I'm seriously slipping...

13. Scarecrow28

Scarecrow28 Contributing Member

Just take a break from writing and do something fun. Congradution on finishing the manuscript.