1. joemister1221

joemister1221 New Member

Traveling Distances (on paper)

Discussion in 'Research' started by joemister1221, Aug 13, 2008.

Leo, had the same topic weeks ago about horses: how many miles they could travel in a day...
    I searched through the answers and found a lot of it useful for my novel.
    But, also, I ask: How many miles can a old galleon/trireme travel in a day.
    I've tried Google but got varied results. I was wondering if anyone could clear it up.

How many miles can a wooden ship with sails or oars travel in a day? The day is good for sailing : a good breeze and easy waves and the ship has a basic crew.

Also, I was wondering how far an army in formation can travel in a day? (the terrain is fields and the army is lightly armored.)

If anyone could answer any of these questions or give me links that helped them , it would be greatly appreciated.
    This is to help me make a map of my characters journeys. I need to make sure that it's as realistic as possible.

2. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

You'll need to give more information on the ships... But if you tell me the size and style of the vessel (as well as the historical age) I can probably help there. I'll leave it for one of our ex-army members to answer the army question though...