Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

First daughters criticized.

Discussion in 'Debate Room' started by GingerCoffee, Dec 1, 2014.

Good grief! The first daughters always look well dressed and classy when in public. I've never seen them act poorly. So they wear short dresses. They're teenage girls! Newsflash: girls haven't had to have their skirts cover their knees since the 50s. :rolleyes:

But apparently a Republican Congressional assistant thinks short dresses and a bored look when having to stand by Obama pardoning a turkey were unforgivable lack of class.

Who are these people that are living in another era?

And this isn't the first ridiculous insult the daughters have had to endure. Al Sharpton played a half dozen clips from Glenn Beck to some Congressman saying ludicrous things about the first daughters.

Now this lacked class:
    The president's twin daughters have been caught trying to buy beer using fake ID.
    That's Jenna and Barbara Bush, not Malia and Sasha.
    It's still not relevant but at least the girls did something worthy of criticism. The Obama daughters look like very well behaved teens from what I can see.

2. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

When you're the face of the public, or related to the face of the public as these two girls are, there's bound to be undeserved criticism headed your way.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
  3. Okon

Okon Contributing Member Contributor

I agree. It must also be tiring to have to just stand there with nothing to do, and in front of a sometimes global audience no less. In the shot below, Obama's got it easier than them (in way).

That said, their expressions are pretty funny:

[​IMG]
    "Yeah, whatevar..."

4. Link the Writer

I'd be bored myself if I were in their shoes. :D "Yeah, dad, it's cool and all to pardon a turkey, but can I got back to my room to play Super Smash Bros. Wii U, please?"

But in all seriousness, I would be swaying from side to side with the world's most obvious 'please get me out of here!' look on my face. I'm not good standing in front of a crowd of people, even if the attention isn't focused directly on me.

5. B93

B93 Active Member

Who started the ridiculous practice of pardoning a turkey? Did the turkey commit a Federal crime?

The president of a country should not put up with that kind of foolishness, and it is not surprising if anyone forced to participate in the ceremony is uninterested.

6. Link the Writer

I think the first official pardoning of a turkey was back in 1989 during George H.W. Bush's administration. Traditional stories hold that it had its roots during the American Civil War when Lincoln's son, Tad, got upset at the thought of the family taking a turkey he grew fond of and using it as the Thanksgiving feast, so the boy had his dad pardon the turkey.

It is a weird practice, I have to admit. I don't blame the girls for looking like they'd much rather be anywhere else but there.

7. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Supporter Contributor

I thought the criticism of the Obama girls was ridiculous. They are beautiful young ladies, and if that's as much "attitude" as they get during their teen years, their parents should be well pleased.

I wasn't a fan of criticism of the Bush girls, either. Tried to use a fake ID? Terrible, because who does that in college, right?

T.Trian, Wreybies and GingerCoffee like this.
  8. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

The only thing wrong with those outfits is the lack of color coordination.

Lemex likes this.
  9. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributing Member Contributor

They look to me like they're trying very hard to look serious and interested, even though they're dying of boredom.

10. Ben414

Ben414 Contributing Member Contributor

I find it extremely funny that this congressional staff member is a "director of communications" whose specialties supposedly include "Facebook and Twitter."

Simpson17866 likes this.
  11. Wreybies

Wreybies The Ops Pops Operations Manager Staff Contest Administrator Supporter Contributor

Why aren't we saying her name? Elizabeth Lauten is now using one of the most tried and true of conservative tactics. Spin it, baby! Spin it! She gets her mean-spirited jab in at the first daughters, then she has a conversation with "god" and repents. How convenient. Now this makes her the victim of vicious attacks from meanies who don't know how to forgive. And as for criticizing the first daughters on their fashion choices....? Have you seen Lauten's wardrobe? Never mind the speck, Lizzy Lauten, get thee to thine plank and with a quickness.

[​IMG]

Simpson17866 likes this.
  12. GingerCoffee

I can't believe that blue sack dress is real but it appears it's from a picture of her and not something photoshopped.

GOP Staffer Who Attacked Obama Girls Was Arrested During Her Own "Awful Teen Years"

Simpson17866 likes this.
  13. 123456789

123456789 Contributing Member Contributor

Why do we care about the president's daughters? Last I checked this wasn't England and we don't have a royal family. These girls have done nothing to earn the eye of the American public. We should not even know their names.

14. Link the Writer

If you're rich, powerful, and famous, we'll care.

And, oh yeah, I forgot, our American media once made a big deal about the royal wedding, then the royal birth both, of course, which were taking place in the United Kingdom.

123456789 likes this.
  15. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I'm becoming more and more amazed people care about things like this. Politics isn't some Gossip magazine, the quality of people's lives literally hangs on the results of the political process. If all anyone cares about is what some teenaged girls are wearing then democracy has failed.

We may as well have an oligarchy then ... OH WAIT!

123456789 and Wreybies like this.
  16. Wreybies

Wreybies The Ops Pops Operations Manager Staff Contest Administrator Supporter Contributor

And I think a large part of the ire that Lauten is receiving is based in exactly your sentiment. These two girls are not political figures. They are not next in line for the oval office by dint of birth. They just happen to be the offspring of two parents who are political figures. They are NOT "fair game". And until reading about this particular bit of GOP assholery, I actually did not know their names. Lauten's attack came out of left-field and was bare naked ugly. And for a person whose job it is to manage the social media side of her little neck of the woods, it seems the qualifications for that post were maybe having worked a summer at The Gap. Maybe.

T.Trian and 123456789 like this.
  17. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Supporter Contributor

I agree with @Wreybies that the kids should be off limits. I remember Saturday Night Live having Chris Farley play a teenage Chelsea Clinton, which was in bad taste. Some on the left jumped on any mistake made by the Bush girls, and now we have a right-winger criticizing Obama's girls. None of it is appropriate, in my view.

123456789 likes this.
  18. GingerCoffee

The kids should be off limits, but the criticism was also ridiculously undeserved.

19. Link the Writer

Especially since they did nothing wrong. Who cares what they want to wear?

20. Aled James Taylor

Aled James Taylor Contributing Member Contributor

I agree that the girls should be off limits, but by placing then in front of the cameras next to the president, no one seems to be trying very hard to keep them off limits. Why are they there anyway? Is the president trying to distract people's attention? Why pardon a turkey? Is this something to do with thanksgiving and indigestion?

In Britain, many teenage girls now wear leggings or tights (often with a short top) and have given up on skirts altogether.

21. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributing Member Contributor

Lauten is a no-class jackass who worked for morons like Joe Walsh. The office where she worked (she resigned) obviously foments this sort of thinking and are so blinded by their intense hatred of Obama that no reason is allowed to seep in.

She obviously had this rant all ready to go, as it had nothing to do with what the girls did. I watched the video, and I honestly could not see where they did anything at all noteworthy. Even had they not shown up, she probably would have just prefaced it with "couldn't they be bothered to show up..."

And I won't even get into the improper sexualization and implications of not showing enough respect being heaped upon young black women.

It's just disgusting.

22. chicagoliz

This is a silly tradition here in America, and it's really something just kind of light and fun, done at a time where there usually isn't a lot of other news. This is exactly the sort of event where it's fine to have the kids, because it has nothing to do with politics or policy. Otherwise, the girls are kept out of the spotlight.

The attack on them really came out of nowhere and was so baseless -- that's why it got the attention it did, because it was indefensible.

23. Link the Writer

I wonder how Obama's going to react to the fact that his girls were needlessly insulted like this?

24. Wreybies

He'll probably ignore it. Lauten resigned, surprising no one.

25. chicagoliz

I doubt he'll say anything -- there's really no need to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.