1. U.G. Ridley

U.G. Ridley I'm a wizard, Hagrid Supporter

First draft or rewrite?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by U.G. Ridley, Jun 22, 2016.

When writing a novel, is the best thing to do to just force yourself through a first draft even if you leave a chapter not feeling satisfied with what you've written to get a feel for the story as a whole, or should you at least rewrite until you are generally satisfied? Is there a healthy medium?

2. Malisky

Malisky Fuzz Overdriver Contributor

The Middle of Nowhere The Center of Everywhere
    Hello U.G.Ridley!

Hm. I think that it depends on the writer and what works for him/her best individually. Some people write the first draft with a classic timeline, some people skip chapters and leave them for last, some begin from the end and build up from there. In editing everything changes anyhow. You add things, you substract things, you change major key points or small details. When in Rome...

I've tried many different methods of writing, just because I felt like it. Every inspiration comes different. Some go from A to Z, some are very chaotic. The only genre I can think of that needs very good pre-planning though is mystery. I've spent hours and hours of out lining in this genre, because everything in a good mystery plot must fit like a glove. So in these cases I prefer to at least have solved the mystery before hand, than to build it up along the way, because one mistake is enough to make the plot crumble down. Truth is, I like it best when I just start writing and see were it goes along the way but it doesn't always work. It's not a waste of time though because that way, at least you get to write down what inspired you the most anyways in the most important time, so you won't lose it. The "feel" that you said is important as well because it's very motivational.

BayView likes this.
  3. U.G. Ridley

As a new writer I think I can be really anxious to get various stories out there, but simultainiously I'm struggling to deal with the hardships of being a writer (of which there are many I've realized), so I guess at this point it is just important that I experiment with different methodes like you said and figure out what works, and once I have that down it can be easier to put those stories on the page in a good way. Thanks for the insight!

4. mrieder79

mrieder79 Not a ground squirrel

I push through. You never know whether a scene will end up being unnecessary to the story. Polishing before finishing will make you unwilling to cut said polished scene (and cutting is necessary) and it will also slow you down.

Finish the story then polish the story. That's how I write.

5. U.G. Ridley

That is a really good point! When you mention it, I realize that I have that problem of polishing something without knowing the story as a whole, and then not wanting to cut it even though it doesn't fit in the overall plot or has several plotholes. Thanks for pointing that out!

christinacantwrite likes this.
  6. christinacantwrite

christinacantwrite Member

I also have this problem, having a compulsion to constantly go back and polish what I've written, fixing the little plotholes and making the words flow better but losing sight of the overall plot, or the story line.

I did recently give up on my story half-way through, go back, and start re-writing it from the beginning (as mentioned in the last re-write thread). I don't know if it was the correct decision - maybe I should have pushed through. But I'm not sure how I could have pushed through, because I didn't have a clue where I was going with it. Currently, the re-write is going well, so maybe sometimes it is ok to start re-writing before the end. I guess I'll find out soon!

7. terobi

terobi Contributing Member

I absolutely push through. I didn't used to - and all that meant was that I never finished anything.

What I've found myself doing is discovering adjustments I need to make as I go. When that happens, I just make a note and keep writing as if I've already made the adjustment. Then I get to the end, go back and fix everything that needs fixing, and start work on a proper line edit.

christinacantwrite likes this.
  8. Sack-a-Doo!

Sack-a-Doo! Contributing Member Contributor

For now, I'd say keep going. If it continues to eat at you, go back and clean it up.