1. Liza

Liza Active Member

First Drafts and Rewrites

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Liza, Jan 11, 2013.

Hey there, I'm stuck on the first draft of my novel right now. I planned to start it off with a certain event, but ended up writing something very different. I am not sure that it will contribute to the story once it is rewritten. My characters are off saving a duck with a broken wing right now... for no apparent reason. It's not a perfect start, but it has gotten me writing and I feel that I can competently introduce my story this way.
    However, when it comes to the rewrite, I am almost 100% positive that this beginning with be trashed and replaced with another. It might be slightly similar, but I am pretty sure that the random duck will be omitted. It this normal, do you think? Everyone says that the first draft does not have to make perfect sense, but with an event as important as the beginning of a story, does the rule still apply?

2. PaulKemp24

PaulKemp24 Member

It's perfectly fine. Just keep on writing. Don't dwell on the duck thing. As you get further along in the book and your characters and story grow, a more ideal beginning might click in your head. Just keep chugging forward -- you can always go back and change things when you finish the draft.

3. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributing Member Contributor

Just keep writing. Don't worry about what you may take out later. You might find out down the road that the duck has some significance. The beginning is so important -- in that you need to really hook the reader, so no matter what you have for your beginning you're going to be reworking and rethinking it anyway. So just carry on.

Anything might happen. Maybe later on another character serves a dinner of duck l'orange from a duck he captured himself. Usually he can't catch ducks because they're too fast. ;-)

4. Scarfe

Scarfe Member

I think that a large chunk of the first draft of novels end up on the cutting room floor so to speak. Do not get stuck rewriting the first scene or you will never finish it, just keep writing and worry about it at the end. Scenes that may seem irrelevant can actually be very important in terms of the characterization and the world you are building in your own head, and will serve to improve those that follow, even though they may undergo a major edit later.

1 person likes this.
  5. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Staff Supporter Contributor

Well said, Scarfe. I agree 100%.

6. Scarfe

Scarfe Member

Cheers Minstrel

7. SilverWolf0101

SilverWolf0101 Active Member

Just keep writing, if the duck doesn't work once you finish the first draft then ditch it once you're done. If it got you're story moving, keep it moving and worry about the detours, u-turns, and stops later down the road.