1. Hubardo

Hubardo Contributor Contributor

First person narrative present tense fiction recommendations

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Hubardo, May 21, 2014.

i've read a couple of chuck palahniuk books now because that's the most common style that he writes in and i'm looking for more like it. hello

2. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Most people put the "hello" at the beginning of the post, but I guess the end works as well.

Try The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri. I know for a fact it's written in present tense, but I'm not sure about the first person. There's another book written by a South American writer (this one I'm 100% sure meets the criteria), but I don't remember the name of either the author or the book. :( If I do remember, I'll be sure to post it.

3. Hubardo

Am reading bits of Namesake on Amazon and it's in past tense, but it's pretty gripping!

4. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Hmm. I was pretty sure a significant chunk of it was written in present tense. Actually, it looks like it uses present tense throughout. I searched "Namesake present tense" on Google and got a bunch of hits saying just that. But it's written in third person, not first.

5. Hubardo

Brainfart. That's what I meant. It's present tense but in third person. Bah.

6. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

I don't know about Chuck Palahniuk, but a good chunk of Murakami's 'Kafka on the Shore' is written in first person present tense and it's a beautiful book.

7. Hubardo

urgh! the library just closed! the only murakami i've been exposed to is 1Q84, which i listened to on audiobook. would love to see what he can do in that more present, faster paced narrative form... on my list!!

jazzabel likes this.
  8. Xueqin-II

Xueqin-II New Member

From what I've read, only Chuck has ever done it that well. The Hunger Games made me never want to see it again.

9. Hubardo

OK the local bookstore had Kafka On The Shore so I just picked it up. It was a steep $15 but I figured I should support local bookstores. :D

thirdwind likes this.
  10. jazzabel

@lewislewis : I haven't read IQ84' but both 'Kafka on the Shore' and 'Wind-up Bird Chronicles' are incredibly beautiful stories. Like nothing I ever read before.

11. Hubardo

only about 15 pages into it but so far so good!

12. jazzabel

You are in for a treat @lewislewis. I wept when I finished, I was so sad it was over. I hope you like it! :)

13. Hubardo

@jazzabel such a serendipitous recommendation! i'm writing a story with a librarian MC and have been wondering if there are any books around with librarian characters. Oshimi's function as a librarian who can reference literature to make sense of what's happening in Kafka's life is a really clever trick Murakimi's using, and i think i'm going to work with that for my own story. so cool!

loving this book. thanks so much.

jazzabel likes this.