1. skeloboy_97

skeloboy_97 New Member

First time publishing

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by skeloboy_97, May 8, 2011.

Hello fellow writers.

I have just started a new manuscript today, and I think it will be a success. What would be the best place to start, as I have no clue at all. By the way im only 13 years old if that makes a difference.

Thanks Greatly,

Nathan.

2. The-Joker

The-Joker Contributor Contributor

How delightfully optimistic of you. That's the spirit. You can start by finishing your manuscript. It's a long journey, but with enough passion it will be an exciting one.

3. Youniquee

Youniquee (◡‿◡✿) Contributor

Finish the manuscript then you can start to begin this path. ^^
    I started my only in Nov and I'm only 2 years older than you. It's been a long journey, and there's still a lot more to go. But it's been a lot of fun! Use this time to polish your writing skills~

4. Arathald

Arathald New Member

Keep your hopes high, but be ready to be disappointed. Accepting disappointment and rejection is part of being a writer. Every writer hopes, or even knows, that his current work is going to make it big, but the reality is that even most big-name authors had to write anywhere between three and a few dozen novels before ever getting published. Does this mean your current manuscript won't get published? By no means. What it does mean, though, is that if you're only writing it on the assumption that it will get published, you need to think about why you're writing in the first place. You shouldn't be writing a manuscript contingent on getting it published, otherwise you'll never get anything done. Consider this work as either the novel that's going to break you into the market, or great practice for future novels.

That all said, as The-Joker and Youniquee mentioned, the first step in getting it published is finishing it. And I don't mean just finishing a first draft. Finish it, revise it, revise it again, get feedback, revise it yet again, get more feedback, and then, you just might be ready to look into publishing.

5. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

I'd go with those who says "finish the novel first then start thinking about how to go about publishing it". You will have plenty of time for that, at this moment you should concentrate on the actual work of writing it. And be prepaed that it will take time, you probably won't produce a finished, publishable novel in 2 months.
    By the way, I like your enthusiasm, that is the spirit! :D
    Would you like to share some details of what the story is going to be about? :p

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

are you asking how to start your story/book?... or how to start the publishing process?

if you mean the story/book, just pick a scene in the storyline that seems to be a good place to start and then start writing...

as for your age making a difference, that would only be if you intend to submit what you write to age-limited venues... or when/if offered a contract while still under age, a parent or legal guardian will have to do the signing...

otherwise, the only thing that matters is the quality of your writings, not how old you are when turning them out... and no one will know how old you are if you don't tell them...

7. Earlychop

Earlychop Member

I love lamp.

No seriously when did this thread go nuts?

8. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

the only nutty post i see here is yours...

9. Earlychop

Earlychop Member

I think I'm losing it

10. skeloboy_97

skeloboy_97 New Member

Well the story is about a guy in florida who recently divorced his wife, and wanted a fresh start. All is well, life is great, but then something weird starts happening. He has a dream one night, but then within strictly the next three days, the event occurs, but on a much smaller scale. Anyway, they slowly start getting more significant each day, until almost three years later, the events basically peak to level of the dream, and the events get more dramatic..

Message me if you want to chat more about it.

11. Tesoro

It sounds interesting, and I'm quite impressed. I wish you the best of luck with your writing-project, and I hope you will keep us informed about the proceeding of it. Is it going to be a novel or a short story?

12. skeloboy_97

skeloboy_97 New Member

:)
    :)
    Thankyou, i'm quite interested in it myself :) I'm aiming for a novel.
    Are you working on any project at the moment?

13. Tesoro

yes, right now I'm at rewriting stage with my first novel, which still has a lot to be done with it so it is going to be a looong project I think, lol. But I like this story so much it is definitely worth it.:) besides, I sort of consider it a learning process for my future stories. If I can create something that makes sense out of this one (which has existed in my head since I was a teen and is mostly based on an entire life worth of daydreams, lol) I think I would be a step closer to becoming a better writer ;)