1. Joe Care

Joe Care New Member

First Time Writing - Advice

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Joe Care, Apr 1, 2015.

Hi all,

Yes I am new here. I was just wondering the best course of action.

I've started writing an introduction/prologue of sorts, it's very short and about 550 words. However, I have no one to peer assess it, and am not sure if I should follow my gut and keep on writing and worry about editing and improving my prologue after I've written the next section (as it may cause the next chapter to fall apart a bit).. or if I should try and get advice as I go.

My thoughts are it's best to just keep going.

Many thanks,

Joe.

2. BayView

BayView Contributing Member Contributor

If it's your first time writing? Yeah, I'd suggest you just keep going. Have fun, play with your setting and characters, write some big, dramatic scenes...explore! You can fine-tune later.

peachalulu likes this.
  3. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Staff Supporter Contributor

Welcome, Joe!

Some people write their stories from start to finish before they go back to what they've written to edit and revise. Others edit and revise as they go. (Personally I do most of my editing after the first draft is finished.)

If you're new to writing I agree with @BayView's advice, to just keep writing and see where it gets you. When you are a bit more confident in the process and have explored writing a little, you can try to experiment with different processes to find the way that suits you best.

Good luck!

4. Amanda_Geisler

Amanda_Geisler Contributing Member Reviewer

At this stage it is probably better to keep going and come back later. Unless it is physically stopping you from moving on, see where it takes you and if you hit a dead end you can always retrace your steps.
    It takes a while to find your feet but as @Komposten mentioned, you can experiment and find the method that suits you. (Also like Komposten, I leave most of my editing for later. I only go back if something is stopping me from moving forward)
    Those first few months are the most infuriatingly frustrating of them all. But it's all worth it to see a finished manuscript. There is no better feeling, even if its only a draft.

Good luck and welcome,
    Amanda

5. Chinspinner

Chinspinner Contributing Member Contributor

I'm going to go against the grain slightly and say that if you are completely new to writing it may be worth learning the basics of the craft first, otherwise there may be errors you simply can't edit out. Screwing up your POVs as an example.

6. lustrousonion

lustrousonion Contributing Member

I think @Chinspinner has a good point. If you're interested in feedback and don't think it will stop you from continuing, you can always post to the writing workshop (you just have to critique two pieces of writing first).

Whatever you do, I totally agree with @BayView that you should have fun. :)