1. Jack Asher

Jack Asher Banned Contributor

Novel At least I have chicken

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by Jack Asher, Oct 1, 2014.

I've been playing around with book titles and decided I like either:
    At Least I Have Chicken
    -or-
    Your Nose is Shiny

They're both Klingon proverbs*, and I thought I'd let my audience know straight up what they were getting into.
    But for anyone outside the demo, if you were looking for a book to make you laugh would you pick up one of those?

*Actually "your nose is shiny" is in the quick phrases section of The Klingon Dictionary, whereas "at least I have chicken"** was never a tkling saying, but was uploaded to the Klingon wiki as a farce.

**"At least I have chicken" is the final retort of Leeroy Jenkins. We're going deep here.

Fun fact, The Klingon Dictionary quick phrase section includes the entry, ghlth vlghlthta'bogh DalaD'a' (will you read my manuscript?)

2. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

Well, the title was intriguing enough that I clicked on the link cus I was wondering what the heck it could possibly be about lol. So I think you've definitely got something interesting! And I know nothing about Klingon so I pretty much came through to the thread based purely on what it said :)

I'd pick it up at a book store I think :)

Edit: So what's it about?

3. Jack Asher

It's about 75k words, a hopeless nerd, a sexagenarian vampire hunter, and a persistent psychotic hallucination.

4. elynne

elynne Active Member

having been a WoW player for years, "At Least I Have Chicken" would make me pick up the book, but I'm not sure I'd keep reading past the back cover blurb--not because I didn't find the ideas interesting, but because the expectation set up by the title would not be matched by the subject matter (unless the book is about WoW, which it doesn't sound like it is). I'm not at all familiar with Star Trek/Klingon, so I wouldn't be coming at it from that angle.

5. Jack Asher

It's got a vampire that is preying on the MMO community, does that help you?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  6. elynne

elynne Active Member

"preying," unless you mean making liturgical entreaties on behalf of their souls. ;) and maybe... though to be honest, you'd be much more likely to hook me with the "persistent psychotic hallucination" as a major character. now that would be a really interesting story!

7. Jack Asher

You know, I even looked strait at it and said to myself, "you got the right pray in there, Jack."

I'm not sure I would call the hallucination a major character. But she's there for almost every scene, and integral to the plot, so I'm not sure what I would call her.

8. Okon

Okon Contributor Contributor

These are indeed grabbing titles, but the phrase-style very much reminds me of self-help books and autobiographies. This sounds like a harsh thing to say, but I think you shouldn't use either of them; they don't make it immediately clear that it's a fiction book.

Sounds like a good story, though.:agreed: