First Video Game Movie You Saw

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by MilesTro, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Uberwatch

Uberwatch Active Member

Imagine the fan backlash if Hollywood did make a ME film. Even the fans were so distraught with ME3's ending, and it shows how passionate they are. (I'm an ME fan myself but only played the first two games.)

Also, there technically is a Mass Effect film. But it's an anime.
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008HUSF70/?tag=postedlinks04-20

And speaking of Garrus Vakarian, I've seen a video of a cosplayer dressed liked him and holy crap, it made it look like the Turians are real haha.

2. obsidian_cicatrix

obsidian_cicatrix I ink, therefore I am. Contributor

@Uberwatch... yep, I saw him. The set up they had at one of the conventions I saw on YouTube was really cool.

I'll admit to being a huge fan. So I have seen the anime but it's not to my personal taste.

I did play ME3. I was the laughing stock of all my mates. When they called I had the tissues out. I wasn't just crying I was a blubbering wreck. And that was before Starchild went and fecked it all to oblivion. Then I was beside myself. The extended version and the Citadel DLC eased the pain a little, and believe it or not, I'm actually coming to terms with the ending although I still maintain they could have done so much more. The groundwork had already been laid. I didn't much care what happened to Shep but my team... that's another matter. And then there's the inconsistencies.

I dunno... I just think EA were in too much of a hurry to release it. Bioware took a lot of flack, but those games were a labour of love and it shows. If that's how I felt, I can't imagine how distressed they must have been by the games reception. I still maintain it is the most emotionally involving game I've ever played.

Edited to add: Not that it would happen but if we put ourselves in the designers shoes for a moment—How would an author feel if a publishing house took a look at their 2nd draft and said, right it's good to go—your fans will eat it up. Not happy, is my bet. (Unless, of course, they are only in it for the money.)

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  3. MilesTro

MilesTro Senior Member

If they make a live action Mass Effect movie, it should focus on different characters in a different story without Commander Stephen. About an origin about one of the characters can be interesting. The problem is the audience will mostly be people who haven't played the game. They might think that story is the main story from the game. But if it is good, the people won't care.

4. obsidian_cicatrix

obsidian_cicatrix I ink, therefore I am. Contributor

@Miles Tro I completely agree. That would solve a lot of the issues.

5. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

I think it was Mortal Kombat. I was something like 9, so I didn't enjoy it the way I would now. I took it far too seriously back then.

I think I have a bit of a soft spot for video game movies. They can be so innocent and crappy at the same time. When I saw the first Tomb Raider movie, it was official, I wanted to become Lara Croft when I grow up. And I really loved the first two games. Anyway, turns out it's not so easy to become an adventuring archeologist if you aren't super rich.
    I also find it interesting how the character design has changed. The 2013 Lara looks like a real action woman; her clothes are more practical and less revealing, and she's removed her implants (they must've gotten in the way a bit).

6. Uberwatch

Uberwatch Active Member

Of course. Some games are not mean't be to be adapted so they would have to create a new story within the game's universe if it were to be a story. No way you could put Shepard's story on the big screen and expect everyone to like it. Because the way Shepard's story was written was for the player to experience it their way.

7. MilesTro

MilesTro Senior Member

I still want to see a full length live action Halo movie with all the characters that sticks to the original story line.