1. Lilly James Haro

Lilly James Haro The Grey Warden

Contest Winner! Flash Fiction Contest #20 - "Memory" Well Done -oz!

Discussion in 'Bi-Weekly Flash Fiction Contest Archives' started by Lilly James Haro, Apr 12, 2015.

Let’s all say congratulations to the newest winner of the Flash Fiction Contest, @-oz who wrote the entry, Thief. Well Done! Also congratulations to @Lancie who wrote the second place entry: Forgetting Ms W. Thank you to all who entered and all who read the entries and voted, we wouldn’t be able to hold these contests without you guys!

@Wreybies, if you could please present the medal :)

2. Lilly James Haro

Lilly James Haro The Grey Warden

This is -oz's winning entry: Thief

Detective Tucker walked around the steel table to stand next to the instrument panel. It was cold enough in the room to see his client’s breath. The unconscious man on the table would be the coldest of the three of them, if he could feel it, but the detective had no sympathy for the thief. He pushed a few buttons on the instrument panel and turned to his guest.

“Mrs. White, the procedure I’m about to perform on this criminal will let me see his memories. If this doesn’t reveal where he hid your family necklace, I don’t know what will.”

“Thank you Detective, you don’t realize how much this necklace means to me.”

Tucker leaned forward and grabbed a few wires connected to the instrument panel. With modern advances they worked by contact; he didn’t have to drill to the man’s brain. After shaving away patches of hair, the nodes were securely taped onto his head. Tucker took the other wires and removed his wig. His client gasped as he plugged the nodes into his own skull. He had ports implanted years ago, when the technology wouldn’t allow skin contact alone. Even now, memories were still elusive to technology; they were designed exclusively for humans, which is why it took a direct connection between living brains to experience another's memories.

“Please just have a seat and relax, Mrs. White, this will only take a moment. Try to remain quiet during the procedure.”

Tucker pushed a few more buttons on the instrument panel to begin the procedure and took a few relaxing breaths. Exploring memories still took all of his concentration, despite how frequently he had done it. Slowly, he opened his mind to that of the criminal’s.

It took a couple minutes, but he found the moment the criminal stole the necklace. Tucker paused. This was the most ornate necklace he had ever seen. Rubies, emeralds, even alexandrite were central to the design, but they served to highlight an exquisite vivid pink diamond, at least 50 carats. This necklace was worth a large fortune.

Tucker watched him admire it before wrapping it up and sneaking out of the mansion. He skipped forward and watched where the thief put the necklace, realizing that this was only hours before he was apprehended. The necklace would still be there.

He slowly untangled himself from the memory, and unplugged himself from the machine. After touching a few commands on the instrument panel, including the command to kill the patient, he blinked a couple times and looked sadly at Mrs. White.

“I’m sorry ma’am, but something went wrong: he has no memory of your necklace.”