1. Lilly James Haro

Lilly James Haro The Grey Warden

Contest Winner! Flash Fiction Contest #21 - "What's The Time, Mr Wolf?" Well Done NigeTheHat!

Discussion in 'Bi-Weekly Flash Fiction Contest Archives' started by Lilly James Haro, May 3, 2015.

Let’s all say congratulations to the newest winner of the Flash Fiction Contest, @NigeTheHat who wrote the entry, What’s The Time, Mr Wolf? Well Done! Also congratulations to @edamame who wrote the second place entry: Tahra of Cursed Time. Thank you to all who entered and all who read the entries and voted we wouldn’t be able to hold these contests without you guys!

@Wreybies, if you could please present the medal :)

2. Lilly James Haro

Lilly James Haro The Grey Warden

Here is the winning entry:

Mr Wolf took a golden pocketwatch from his straining waistcoat pocket, and placed it carefully on the desk in front of him. His waistcoat was brown, the colour his fur had been when all this began. Not any more.

The girl – young woman, he corrected himself – had entered his office and shut the door. She was young, young enough to be one of his students, which was probably why it had caused no comment.

Evidently no-one had noticed the bulge of a gun under her red suede jacket. But Mr Wolf noticed. He looked out for such things.

“Hello Red.”

“You remember me.”

“Family resemblance.”

Red looked at Mr Wolf, and Mr Wolf looked back. What big eyes she had. On the desk, the pocketwatch ticked, steady as a heartbeat.

“You don’t seem surprised.”

“As I tell my students, spacetime is curved,” Mr Wolf shrugged. “So eventually either your past catches up to you, or you run into it from behind.”

“You ate my grandmother.” That even surprised Red when it came out. She knew it. She knew he knew it. But she hadn’t expected it to sound so flat. So bored.

“I did indeed.” His tongue rolled over his teeth and slapped his chops. The word ‘lascivious’ had been invented for that tongue. “She was a wild, wild woman, and I ate her all the way up.”

Red winced. Winced at the tongue, winced at the teeth, winced at the way the p popped at the end of his sentence like a champagne cork.

“I should kill you.”

“Perhaps. Or perhaps you should kill the pup I once was. But he’s long dead, I’m afraid. I’m all that’s left. Time moves on. I was him. But he is not me.”

There was a knock at the door, and Red jumped like a startled deer.

“Give me twenty minutes please, Julia,” Mr Wolf called.

Red’s eyes narrowed. “Why did you do that?”

Mr Wolf leaned back, resting his paws on his belly. “Because in the next few seconds, you’ll need to make a choice. It could be the time you shoot me, or it could be the time you walk away. One of these choices will mean you regret the next few seconds forever, and I honestly couldn’t tell you which one that is. But it’s a choice you should make.”

Red’s hand twitched. She looked at the door. She looked at old, fat Mr Wolf.

Tick. Tick. Tick.

“So… what’s the time, Little Red?”