1. Lilly James Haro

Lilly James Haro The Grey Warden

Contest Winner! Flash Fiction Contest #22 - "Hatching Day" Well Done Edamame!

Discussion in 'Bi-Weekly Flash Fiction Contest Archives' started by Lilly James Haro, May 24, 2015.

Congratulations to the newest winner of the Flash Fiction Contest, @edamame who wrote the entry, Hatching Day. Well Done! Also congratulations to @Selbbin who wrote the second place entry: Young Patrick. Thank you to all who entered and all who read the entries and voted we wouldn’t be able to hold these contests without you guys!

@Wreybies, if you could please present the medal :)

2. Lilly James Haro

Lilly James Haro The Grey Warden

Here is the winning entry by Edamame:

Hatching Day (443 words)

“Josephine, he’s awake!”

I groaned, squinting against the light. My eyelids felt heavy and I struggled to make out the face in front of mine. It had blue eyes, a high Grecian nose, and a wavy blond hairstyle from the 1920s. Slowly, the woman moved away from me. I looked around me at the cots, the sterile walls, and a calendar nailed to the side of my bed. One of the grids was circled. A smallish, neat hand had written “Hatching Day!!!” on it.

“Here,” said the woman. She held my left elbow as I tried to sit up. A stitch in my lower abdomen protested. “Come on Patty, get his other side.”

On my right, Patty was a petite woman with black hair. She smiled beatifically at me as she took my other arm. “Still hurting, sweetheart?” She cooed. She reminded me of my mother and the way she fussed, trying to cajole me into rehab.

I turned away.

“Where am I?” I asked the one called Josephine. “The last thing I remember was swerving into the wrong lane.” What I didn’t say was I remembered the other driver’s panicked face, my hands growing suddenly unsteady although I only had a few beers.

“Don’t worry,” Josephine said cheerfully. “You’re not in that mess anymore.” She checked her watch. “You’re here. And right on schedule, too. Your molt couldn’t be delayed much further.”

“My molt?”

“It’s something everyone goes through.” Patty sat on my cot. She brushed my hair wistfully. “I hope you’ll be one of mine.”

“As if!” Josephine chuckled. “I got the last five.”

My shoulder blades began to throb. I shook my head from Patty’s caress. I clawed at my own back as the women both watched me emptily with a sort of detached sympathy, as the itch ascend rapidly into a fiery pain. I gasped as stabbing sensations cut into my skin, my muscle, my bones.

“Help me!” I shrieked as my back ran with blood, but they just stood there. My spine cracked, sinew tore and rearranged itself. I vomited. One dusky, leathery wing unfurled itself from my left shoulder blade.

The cots around me combusted, the calendar caught flame. Josephine crowed with sharp, razor-like teeth. “Better luck next time, Patty!” She growled.

“Please, save me! I’m sorry, I did such horrible things.” I sobbed and reached towards Patty, called her all the names I had ever known the human race to use.

Patty frowned. “But I can’t. I have to go now, Jon.”

I screamed as the other demon’s wing burst into existence. Patty faded away, giving me my mother’s back, as the Devil howled and howled.

Jesstro likes this.
  3. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

A well deserved win. :agreed: