1. Lilly James Haro

Lilly James Haro The Grey Warden

Contest Winner! Flash Fiction Contest #23 - Well Done Megalith & Edamame!

Discussion in 'Bi-Weekly Flash Fiction Contest Archives' started by Lilly James Haro, Jun 14, 2015.

Congratulations to the newest winners of the Flash Fiction Contest, @Megalith who wrote the entry, Devoured and @edamame who wrote Curtain A or What's in the Box. Well Done! Thank you to all who entered and all who read the entries and voted we wouldn’t be able to hold these contests without you guys!

@Wreybies, if you could please present the medals :)

2. Lilly James Haro

Megalith's Winning Entry:

Devoured (450)

The spiky red hair was his unique feature. He stood confident for being so short, and wore a very natural frown; you could imagine he was always mad at something. But what I was really interested in… was that box.

This was the fourth time I’d seen him walking around with ’it’. The same thin straps used to carry that plain black box across his back. An urchin like myself doesn’t have to worry about drawing attention. We are purposefully ignored, and to some that would be a curse, but I found it useful. I decided to follow him, sticking to the shadows, eyes on my target.

His pace quickened and I picked up mine to track him. I followed into a small alleyway, but he was gone. I cursed myself for not keeping up and turned back, only to find those furrowed dark green eyes staring, the kid asked, “Why are you following me?”

“The real question is,” I smiled, “Why did you come back after you managed to escape?”

“Oh?” The kid sounded bemused, “Why would I be scared of a beggar?”

“Well boy,” I reached for a knife under my rugged coat, “Letting your guard down against anybody can be…”

I rushed him, my blade pointed towards his chest. “Dead... ly?”

With an unnaturally quick speed, he ducked under my blade, and I almost tripped as I slashed the air. His voice came from behind, “I never let my guard down.”

“Don’t get cocky,” I aimed my knife, “Hand over that box.”

“Hmm?” He cocked his head, “Alright… sure.”

His compliance struck me as much as his speed, but he untied the box and set it on the ground. He gave me another hardened look, it was mixed with something subtle… guilt? using a quick series of jumps he disappeared above. That should have been enough. If he didn’t want me near this box, I wouldn’t have been able to stop him. Yet, why couldn’t I help myself? Before I knew it I was standing over the black box, looking down at it. My second thoughts didn’t deter me, I opened the lid, then looked inside.

The kid returned; dried blood splattered over the narrow walls, covering everything within a few meters of the box. The box itself was pristine, “You satisfied?”

“Yesss….” A crackling voice hissed from the box. “But why’d you take so long getting back?”

“I hate to see you eat, especially someone innocent”

“No... I’m the purifier.” The box hissed, “I clean this World of filth... and you protect me.”

“I know…” The boy picked up the box, throwing it over his back, “Sometimes I wonder if it’s possible though… being innocent.”

3. Lilly James Haro

Edamame's Winning Entry:

Curtain A or What's in the Box (415)

“Welcome back to What’s in the Box! The variety game show where you decide between A,” the emcee waved to a hot red Ferrari onstage as an example, “or–” he winked at the studio audience who shouted with him, “WHAT’S IN THE BOX!”

“Now, let’s greet our final contestant.” The emcee threw an arm around my neck at the guest podium and poked me with his left antennae. “After thirty hours of playing, Mr. Herman Kneedle!”

The audience hooted as a hovering spotlight lit me. I cringed. In my yellow tweed suit, I felt like I was slowly roasting in a volcano. I pulled my mother’s silk kerchief from my breast pocket and wiped the sweat off my brow. I touched my engagement ring for luck.

“Now, Mr. Kneedle. You’ve declined the million dollars, the beach vacation, the –” the emcee paused and nearly choked me in his grip, “Ferrari…Just what are you playing for? How big is your greed?! You leech. You horrible Earthling!” He spat in my face, trembling with indignation.

I shrank away from his embrace as the audience booed.

“A liver,” I glanced at the teleprompter who rolled a tentacle furiously at me, “for my sick mother.”

The audience gasped.

The emcee turned mournfully to the cameras. “Alas, dear Marsians, the truth is revealed! With his mother near death, this humanoid, this brave human, entered our show to find impossible hope.” He shook his head as a few audience members wept. I tried to pry his arm off me. “But let’s move on, let's show Mr. Kneedle again what’s behind curtain A!”

The audience oohed as a velvet curtain lifted to my right and revealed a set of kitchen knives.

“Crafted from ceramic and honed by a master Japanese craftsman, these set of knives will never dull and make slashing easier than playing Pordie’s Puslack.”

The audience chuckled. I gasped for air as he finally let me go.

“So, Mr. Kneedle, what will you take?”

“T-The box.”

“WHAT?” The emcee glared.

“I mean, I’ll take WHAT’S IN THE BOX!” I shouted.

The audience applauded, stomping their feet in excitement as a large black box on center stage lifted, revealing a bound and gagged woman.

I trembled in horror. “Sheryl!”

The emcee grinned. “Congratulations, Mr. Kneedle! It seems you’ve finally won here on …” He pressed one of the knives into my hand as the audience cheered and urged in their seats above my frightened, screaming fiancée: “WHAT’S IN THE BOX!”