1. Lilly James Haro

Lilly James Haro The Grey Warden

Contest Winner! Flash Fiction Contest #26 - Well Done DefinitelyMaybe!

Discussion in 'Bi-Weekly Flash Fiction Contest Archives' started by Lilly James Haro, Nov 29, 2015.

Congratulations to the newest winner of the Flash Fiction Contest, @DefinitelyMaybe who wrote the entry, Cinders. Well Done! Thank you to all who read the entries and voted as well as the runner up, @A.M.P. who wrote The Wildmen. All entries were fantastic and it was a very tough competition this time around. So well done!

@Wreybies, if you could please present the medal :)

2. Lilly James Haro

Lilly James Haro The Grey Warden

Here is the winning entry, Cinders:

Cinders (445 words)

If it wasn't for the burning pain in his chest, Logan Stanton would have leapt off the examining table in shock.

"Teleportation? There's no other way?"

The doctor glanced at an x-ray on a computer screen. "With cancer this advanced, there's no alternative. Are you familiar with the process?"

Logan dragged himself to a sitting position. "I believe so. A machine will disassemble my body, and transmit me to a remote location where I, uh, reappear."

"Minus the cancer. The machine can make changes during the process." The doctor inspected Logan's notes. "You have a wife and young children, a boy and a girl." He stared straight into Logan's eyes. "For them."

An old-fashioned clock on the wall ticked as Logan considered this. "Why don't you use it for everyone, for every illness?"

The doctor's eyes blinked once, but gave up none of his thoughts.

Logan coughed, blood dripping through his fingers and onto his bare legs. He raised his face to meet the doctor's emotionless gaze, and nodded.

----

Son Robert, daughter Julia, and wife Samantha helped Logan down the corridor and into room B-18. There were guarded smiles, traces of hope. The machine dominated the room. Black. Purposeful.

A woman in a white coat greeted them. "I'm Chipo, your teleportation operator. Please sit Mr Stanton." Her hand indicated the machine.

This was happening.

Chipo smiled. "It won't take long. Anoushka will take your family to the destination."

Kisses, hugs, smiles, and they were gone. Chipo gently touched Logan's arm. "You ready sir?"

"Yes."

She pressed buttons and adjusted dials. "Please stay completely still, sir."

Vibrations, heat, lights probing, and then the machine went quiet. Logan looked around the room, then at Chipo. His hand went to his chest and he winced.

"It didn't work?"

"Please look out the window, Mr Stanton."

Logan struggled to his feet and limped to the window, leaning on Chipo's shoulder. Outside Robert and Julia were running, laughing. And there he was, playing tag, running around a grinning Samantha.

Chipo touched his shoulder. "I've broken the rules to show you this. The person you see there is you. Your body, your mind, your memories, but cured. Your family doesn't lose you, doesn't have to grieve."

"But what happens to me?"

"I'm sorry Mr Stanton. If they knew. If anyone knew. We can't save you. We can only save your family."

Logan drank in his children's happiness, Samantha's delight, their future together. With one final effort, he walked unaided to the machine, and sat down.

"I'm ready."

A minute later Chipo carefully swept cinders into a small black bag, and placed it in a cupboard filled with many similar bags.

srlekhak likes this.
  3. DefinitelyMaybe

DefinitelyMaybe Contributing Member Contributor

Thank you very much, everybody.

4. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Congrats, @DefinitelyMaybe, I voted for your story. And I thought all three stories were excellent. But I was disappointed to see @No-Name Slob didn't get any votes because for me it was so close to a tie between Cinders and Rent that I had a hard time deciding. Your story deserved more votes, @No-Name Slob. And clearly @DefinitelyMaybe your story deserved the votes it got.

:agreed::agreed::agreed:

No-Name Slob and DefinitelyMaybe like this.
  5. A.M.P.

A.M.P. People Buy My Books for the Bio Photo Supporter Contributor

It was so close at first :3
    I hoped I snagged another win but congrats to you all the same!
    It was a great turn-around this time.

DefinitelyMaybe and GingerCoffee like this.
  6. No-Name Slob

No-Name Slob Contributing Member Supporter Contributor

Ha! Thanks, love. My feelings aren't hurt -- will try again some time. ;)

7. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Wasn't so much worried about your feelings as I wanted you to know how close I came to voting for your story. :)

No-Name Slob likes this.