1. Lilly James Haro

Lilly James Haro The Grey Warden

Contest Winner! Flash Fiction Contest #28 - Well Done SethLoki!

Discussion in 'Bi-Weekly Flash Fiction Contest Archives' started by Lilly James Haro, Feb 9, 2016.

Let’s all say congratulations to the newest winner of the Flash Fiction Contest, @SethLoki who wrote the entry, 'The Lost Property Box'. Well Done! Thank you to all who entered and all who read the entries and voted, we wouldn’t be able to hold these contests without you guys.

@Wreybies, if you could please present the medal :)

2. Lilly James Haro

Lilly James Haro The Grey Warden

And the winning entry:

The Lost Property Box (319 words)

Can boxes be round? Course they can. I’m sure I’m holding a ration tin; it’s vintage WWII if I could put any detail to my assumption. 'Property of’ it reads on one side, the words protruding under the green paint that covers them. Property of what? I flip it over to read the rest but the old man’s stirring gives me a start. So I slot the box quickly into my knapsack.
    He’s supposed to be dead, damn him—an hour now since his pulse has been zero. I didn’t kill him; no, natural causes took this cantankerous old fool. If anything, I prolonged his life; doing my duty in the face of his verbal abuse. My nursing skills are much appreciated in this low-paid industry. As such, I always pay myself a little bonus when these folk pass to the other side. They’ve no use for their knick knacks and the relatives who cast their elders here are so undeserving.
    Ahh, one of those last gasps, corpses have a life of their own you know, and lots of gas! Yes, his pulse is still zero. Anyway, the doctor is here now. The death certificate will be issued, he’ll be wheeled out all flat like and neath the blanket of dignity. And I’ll be off home, my shift’s over. I’m going to let my curiosity get the better of me before I turn in. I'll open the tin by way of its shiny button, heck if the insides are worthy I’ll stay up late and list them online.

"We’ve got a dead nurse," the police sergeant told his inspector as he proffered the evidence bag. “Tin coleslaw in here, shrapnel to use the right word. I’ve done some of your work for you sir; look. ‘Braithwaite Landmines, Property of the Ministry of Defence’."

3. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Congratulations! I thought that was a very clever story. I did vote for @Blighters' story but it was a very close call and I liked them both.

:agreed: