1. Lilly James Haro

Lilly James Haro The Grey Warden

Contest Winner! Flash Fiction Contest #30 - Well Done Miguel A. Wilder!

Discussion in 'Bi-Weekly Flash Fiction Contest Archives' started by Lilly James Haro, Mar 22, 2016.

Let’s all say congratulations to the newest winner of the Flash Fiction Contest, @Miguel A. Wilder who wrote the entry, ‘Bullets, Bombs, and Birthday Presents’. Thank you to all who entered and all who read the entries and voted, the poll was very close and we had possibly the largest amount of entrants in the history of the flash fiction contest which is awesome! May this continue.

@Wreybies, if you could please present the medal :)

2. Lilly James Haro

Lilly James Haro The Grey Warden

And the winning piece:

Bullets, Bombs, and Birthday Presents (435 words)

The detonation left a huge hole, obliterating the partition that trapped us in the hidden office. Shrapnel and debris peppered the room, but Soloman and I were none the worse for wear. I let out a sigh of relief. In such a small space, the blow back could have taken us out, but I'd placed the c4 perfectly. Suddenly, behind us, I heard crackle, crack, crackle, pop.

“Look,” I said, a knot forming in my throat.

The huge glass wall, holding back massive amounts of water, had been damaged in the blast. My heart sunk to the pit of my stomach. I thought I'd set the charges so only the door would be destroyed. A large crack cobwebbed across the smooth surface, spreading out like tentacles, water seeping through. The impending doom whipped up an emotional maelstrom in me.

Is this how it ends? Never seeing my wife, or son again? I couldn't let that happen.

“Let’s get out of here.” I shouted, pulling Soloman by the arm.

"Getting out of here is not going to be as easy as sneaking in," Soloman said, "someone surely heard that explosion... they're going to be coming for us, if their not on their way already."

We slipped out of the hole in the wall, made our way down a corridor, weapons drawn. Soloman took point, peaked his head around the corner, signaling to me he's seen guards heading our way. My heart pounded in my chest, my hands shook, the water from the wall pooling at our feet. The elevator we took to get in, cycled in six minute intervals, due to return in about 90 seconds. We could either stay here and swim, fight our way out, or die trying. Personally, I'd rather face armed soldiers, over a flood any day.

Soloman cocked back the hammer on his gun, "how much time do you thing we have before that glass collapses all together?" He asked.

"The elevator is due in less than a minute," I said, looking over my shoulder at the huge wave barreling our way, as for the water... less than that."

"Just in case we don't make it... happy birthday."

"Thanks, but it's not until tomorrow," I said, looking down at my watch. "It's five minutes to midnight."

"Well, it's your call birthday boy. Fight or swim?" Soloman said, looking back at me with a warrior's stare.

I cocked back the hammer on my gun, and gave Soloman a confident nod.

"That ain't no fish tank back there," I said, watching the wall of water careening towards us, "we're four stories below sea level."

3. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

:cheerleader::superagree:

Miguel A. Wilder likes this.
  4. BruceA

BruceA Senior Member Supporter

Congratulations @Miguel A. Wilder ! There were some great stories, this month. :)

5. Miguel A. Wilder

Miguel A. Wilder Member

Thanks everyone, and well done to everyone who posted an entry. I read them all, and they all were very good.

6. theoriginalmonsterman

theoriginalmonsterman Pickle Contest Administrator Contributor

Congratz! :D

7. peachalulu

peachalulu Contributing Member Reviewer Contributor

Congrats, Miguel!
    Good story, nice tension!

8. KokoN

KokoN Active Member

Congrats!! There were a lot of good stories in this contest! I look forward to reading the next batch. :)

9. Rob40

Rob40 Active Member

It was great to see so many entries. I would love to have seen more voting. Congrats to the winner! Great job, it was a fun read. Now to submit mine for critique and learn.