Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

Flash Fiction Contest #6- "Hidden Fear"

Discussion in 'Bi-Weekly Flash Fiction Contest Archives' started by Lewdog, May 19, 2014.

As I mentioned in another thread because it is so hard to catch up with people at midnight on Sunday night it is hard to find the winner of the contest right away to get the next prompt, I picked this weeks prompt in order to get a contest ahead and give the winner two weeks to pick a prompt and send it to me for the next contest. Thanks for understanding the issue here.

The newest and greatest Flash Fiction Contest #6 is "Hidden Fear." Selbbin will be picking the prompt for the next contest #7. Please keep in mind the new word limit of 150-450 words. Send all your entries to me via private message by midnight EST June 1st. Make sure to include the number of words, any warnings, and whether you want your story posted in the public or private sections.

Thanks everyone and good luck!

2. Lewdog

"Within"
    (196 words)

It had been some time since it was removed. Yet the lingering fear of it coming back would be there for a lifetime. No one knew about it; he never told anyone he met. A brave face with a smile may dissolve tension in others, but in the owner the tension would accumulate. So it was with him, presenting a perfect picture of his life while silently searching for release. Many liked him while some envied his positive attitude and success. These people, more than anyone else, needed to know his predicament; but no, he wouldn’t expose it. This fear was his alone and he would not share it. It was his secret and the only part of himself he did not have to share. Oft times he thought how a thing so pernicious and frightening could become cherished. Yet even embracing it, the fear never abated. He woke with headaches, always dreading its return. But somehow, because of it, inexplicably, smiles came easier to him in front of others.

One day, early in April when everything was abloom, he went to the doctor.

“It’s completely gone. There is no risk of recurrence,” said the doctor.

3. Lewdog

"Introvert"
    (445 words)

They’d burn me at the stake if they knew. My internal struggles. My disbelief in everything the party stood for. It ached and gnawed away at me every day. On the bus ride to work. As I made my rounds. Most of all, the fear of discovery devoured me at night. In my nightmares.

I remembered the girl. She couldn’t have been more than six or seven. She wore a beautiful blue coat, the kind with a nice big lapel to protect your neck from the cold European breezes. People stood around in a circle, while some soldiers pulled the girl away from her parents.

She mewled and cried like a babe, as any child would, while the crowd pelted derision’s and obscenities at her. I stood between an older man in his late fifties, with an unkempt greying moustache and a young lady no more than twenty in a plaid dress. Both were almost feral, seemingly frothing at the mouth. They came for blood. They want their payment, I thought.

There it was again. That gnawing fear. That inability to speak up and make it known that this behaviour was wrong. I bit my lip and glanced around furtively. In my mind, at any moment a soldier would leap out and drag me into the fray, along with the girl and her parents.

They shoved her onto a packed bus and I knew, she would never come back. None of them did. Her parents screamed and tried to push through the soldiers grip, their arms outstretched and their faces portraits of abject horror.

Suddenly the crowd began to pick up debris by their feet. Stones. Rocks. Rubbish. Whatever was close to hand. They pelted these items at the couple, with amazing accuracy; never seeming to hit the soldiers. I bit back bile and disgust. How could these people do this?

How could they not have the empathy to imagine themselves in that same situation?

The man beside me had a glow in his eyes. Something primal. Something evil. The bus peeled away and the soldiers released the parents, who fell to their knees in the crowded street. The crowd became more ferocious, hurling debris with an unprecedented ferocity. I felt the fear well up in me again as the moustachioed man glanced at me.

He could see I wasn’t holding anything. I felt that he knew my secret. He handed me a large rock, with a smile and raised an eyebrow. My gut locked. A tear passed down my cheek as I hurled the stone at the bloodied couple. I turned to walk away, now understanding that fear is the greatest of all evils.

Last edited: May 20, 2014
  4. Lewdog

"Western Love Story"
    (265 words)

I love my girlfriend for all modern intents of the word, I mean there’s not much I wouldn’t do for her. I’m happy when she’s around and it’s comforting to believe that someone loves you back. I guess that maybe it’s too comforting.

Some nights we lie awake together, and talk, just talk about everything that we believe in, about lives that matter and things that make sense. The serious sort of conversations that border on argument and leaves both feeling a little bit sick. I discovered that I don’t love the person that I’m arguing with. I find her shallow, maybe vain but mostly uninteresting. I can ignore that though and I have for the last three years but there’s a problem because I think at some point I’m supposed to propose and pledge a lifetime (more like 6 years and half your stuff) to the woman of my dreams.

And I’m scared, I’m scared that I’m going to commit my life to a thing without passion, to a lover who is only passable. Sometimes I even catch myself thinking that the only reason that I can pretend to love her is because she’s beautiful. And she is, she’s the old fashioned iconic kind of beautiful that makes poor fools of men and maybe she made a poor fool of me.

I know I won’t leave her and I don’t think that I could ever tell her that “I don’t love you” and so I’m afraid of passing my life in a loveless limbo because it’s more comfortable than change.

5. Lewdog

"This One Girl"
    (290 words)

I step off the bus, tired from a day of school. I've got my music up loud but I still hear their laughter. I turn away but I still see their giggling faces. But when I pull the ear-buds out, and look to them, they turn to stone.

They don't like me. I know it. They try to hide their opinions but I still see them. They're won't say it though. Everyone at school is like that. Well, almost everyone. There is this one girl I know. She's really nice to me and treats me well. She treats me like her equal and she's the only one to do that. I talk to her every day; she's the only one to brighten my day. Everyone else just brings me down, but not her.

But as I walk up the hill towards my house, a thought slides into my mind. What if she's just like them? She's just too nice. That's got to be it. I turn my head and she snickers with the rest of them. She doesn't seem like the others, but I'm sure she does it. Why wouldn't she? There's nothing nice about me. There's no reason for her to like me like she does.

No. Of course not. She's my friend. She's told me this before. She said I'm one of the nicest people that she knows, that she's lucky to have me. She wouldn't lie about that. And even if she was lying, so what? She doesn't know that I know, and that's what matter. A smile curves along my face as I feel my phone vibrate: a text message from the only person who would ever want to talk to me. Her.

6. Lewdog

"Diary"
    (196 words)

My dear Diary,

I know I have been speaking about this for a while now, but I believe it is very important. My parents have decided I must face my fear, because it is only in my head. I know what I saw these nights, and I know it's not only fantasy. They told me they checked for me, they told me they have everything under control and that I should not worry, that everything is fine.

I don't believe it. I don't want to use bad words, because I don't like it (and I know you don't too) but I really would tell them one now. I love them, but why can't they believe me on this?
    I have tried crying, I have tried being calm. I have tried everything... Maybe they are more scared than me?
    I don't believe daddy is scared. Maybe mommy is, even if she told me she is not (but I don't want to say she is a liar!)
    So, there is only one choice for me now, and I decided to take the big step tonight, after bedtime.

I will open the closet, and face the monster inside it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.