1. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

Current Contest Flash Fiction Contest #9 - "Head Games"

Discussion in 'Bi-Weekly Flash Fiction Contest Archives' started by Lewdog, Jul 1, 2014.

I haven't heard back from @Paddybass yet so I'm going to use my chance to make the next prompt and use Paddybass's for the next contest.

The newest and greatest Flash Fiction Contest #9 is "Head Games" as chosen by previous contest winner Lewdog. Please keep in mind the word limit of 150-450 words. Send all your entries to me via private message by 6:00 pm EST July 13th and make sure to include the number of words, any warnings, and whether you want your story posted in the public or private sections.

Thanks everyone and good luck!

Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
  2. Lewdog

"Hair Bands"
    (310 words)

“Coffee?” Fuller asked without turning around.

For fifteen years, Detectives Madigan and Fuller had greeted each other this way, and not once had both of them showed up to a crime scene both carrying coffee until today. Madigan handed his cup to one of the uniforms and took the other from Fuller.

“What do we got?” Madigan fished his zippo and half crushed pack of Marlboros out of his pocket.

“Uh, white male, height and weight unknown,” Fuller tried not to laugh at his own joke. “Time of death hard to determine given the circumstances.”

“Any sign of the body?”

“None. Lack of blood on the bench leads forensics to think the murder happened somewhere else and the killer staged the head here.”

“Witnesses?”

“Couple of joggers found it around 5:30.”

Madigan knelt down next to the severed bald head on the park bench for a closer look.

“Frankie said the rough chopped flesh of the neck could have been caused by a cleaver or small hatchet...”

“Shh, hush,” Madigan interrupted. “Do you hear something?”

Fuller knelt down next to his partner and leaned in closer. Madigan was right; he could hear music.

Madigan snapped his fingers at one of the officers, “You, bring me some gloves.”

Detective Madigan pulled on the blue latex gloves and reached for the severed head. The music grew more audible as the dead man’s mouth fell open; inside the mouth was a small mp3 player wrapped in white earbuds.

“Who is that? Whitesnake?”

“No, Foreigner, Head Games.” Madigan placed the head back on the bench, stood up and took a long pull off his cigarette. “Why do I have the feeling this is going to be the first of many?”

“What’s next? Shot Through the Heart?”

The two detectives laughed as they motioned for the forensics team to wrap up the scene.

3. Lewdog

"The Only Regret"
    (425 words)

The end is near, I have fought as hard as I could but the time has come to accept that I have been beaten. I don't want to die, to leave this world and the people I love but I am so tired it will be a blessing to sleep.

As I sit here in the chair by the window in the comfortable surroundings of the hospice that has been my home for a few weeks now my thoughts begin to look back through my life. It has been a good life, it's had its ups and downs like anyone, thankfully the ups have outnumbered the downs.

I smile as I think back to my school days, it was there that the turning point to my life had come. I wasn't a model pupil, quite the opposite. I played truant more than I attended but it was when I started secondary school that I met the person who change my life. Most teachers had just handed me off to someone else which suited me as I got to carry on doing what I wanted when I wanted. This changed when I met my new headmaster William Games. He was an ex-soldier a Sargent Major, hard as nails and expected everyone to try hard and achieve their best.
    I remember the first time I got sent to his office, I expected the usual, bad boy don't do it again. Mr Games however looked at me and saw more than a disruptive truant, he saw a potential that even I did not know was there. From that day forward he would come to see me everyday, gave me tasks to complete, tasks that would not usually be given to a student. He trusted me and respected me and that respect was mutual. He set my life on a pathway towards helping other children who were having a difficult time, those who found it hard to conform to the rules set down to dictate what is normal. For 35 years I have dedicated my life to helping children and loved every minute.

It could have been so different, I honestly believe that without the intervention of my headmaster I would have been lost and would most probably been set for a life of crime.

Regrets? Actually, I do have one regret, I never thanked him for what he done. So as I sit here watching the rain fall against he window pane I have one last task.

With all my heart and soul Thank you Head Games.

4. Lewdog

"Last Show"
    (360 words)

I thought there would be more people here. The beach seemed like the best seat, and I had put in a lot of consideration in choosing. Most people chose to be with their families today, the stubborn ones went underground in a desperate hope for survival.

“You just had to play those head games with him didn’t you.” I said, stumbling down the shoreline as I threw the latest empty into the ocean. “You had to push him, you knew what he would do. You just didn’t know you were capable of it either.”

“It’s not even worth it, what will this prove.” I said laughing, I had better slow down if I wanted to see the show. “The worst show the world has ever seen.”

The ocean brought a shiver as the water made my suit leg stick. I had once taken such pride in my suits. The laughter became uncontrollable as all the frivolous worries and frustration came to my mind.

“None of that matters now.” The water wasn’t as clear as I expected. The overcast clouds were throwing the lighting off, I wouldn’t be able to see what I had wrought. For some reason I always pictured it as a beautiful day that would slowly be ruined. My blurry reflection in the water showed the wear and tear brought by a lifetime of stress

“It’s for the best.” I said, trying to convince myself.

The vibrations signaling the start of the show rippled through the ocean’s surface up my ribcage, sending the ignorant seabirds into the air. If it wasn’t overcast I’d be able to see it all, but I’ll just wait until they break cover. It’s a good thing I gave security the day off, to let them be with their families. It was one of those days when I regretted not having a family myself. There was an opportunity once, but I made the hard decision a skill that helped me excel in politics. Look what that choice had gotten me, a front seat to the end of the world and no one to share it with.

“It’s karma for playing head games with nations.”

Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
  5. Lewdog

"Faker"
    (440 words)

I’ve always felt I was a fraud. My friends have always believed I was special, and I don’t mean that in the ordinary way. I mean unusual, odd - the one they come to when at their wits end. Now, I’ve given excuses, but to tell the truth I’ve liked the attention. Still, part of me just wishes I didn’t.
    They’ll say I’ve been at the heart of some remarkable things, but I haven’t. They just forget the wrong guesses and exaggerate coincidences. Like when Cheri wanted to get away from her jerk boyfriend, and he was in jail the next week. That was his third time in jail that year, and Cheri came to me because he was spiraling. No shit he ended up in jail! She probably talked a half dozen people, but all she remembers is talking to me.

And then she went back to him when he got out!

And what am I supposed to do when someone asks me to ‘bless’ her pregnancy so she doesn’t miscarry again? Certainly I’m going to ask if she’s getting check-ups, but am I really suppose to say “no I won’t bless your baby”?!

In truth, I’ve only really had one amazing thing happen to me, and it’s not even all that big or anything.

You see, once I was at the Sault Tribe powwow, and the fancy-shawl competition was going on, and there was this three-year-old boy running up and down the bleachers. That was annoying, but whatcha-goina-do? His parents were giving weak-tea “stop that”s and “settle down”s. Then he started jumping on the metal as hard as he could, screaming, and I could see this old lady cup her ears and tense up.

I had a bit of tissue wadded in my hand - left over from fry-bread earlier that afternoon. With a quick motion, I flicked the paper, hoping to hit him in the head. Instead, by some weird happenstance I had caught him between screams, and the wad popped straight into his mouth. In a moment, the thought came to me - image really - of playing this up a bit. So, I looked the boy straight in the eyes, swiped three fingers between us, then used two fingers to motion him to sit.

And he did! It was absolutely incredible. But several people had seen me, and next thing I know I’ve got a Jedi reputation - or a medicine man reputation, except that I’m not tribal at all.

So, here I am. Just faking my way through life, hoping I don’t cause too much harm and wishing everyone would stop calling me ‘special’.