1. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

Announcement Flash Fiction Contest Announcements

Discussion in 'Bi-Weekly Flash Fiction Contest' started by Lewdog, Jun 24, 2014.

Less than a week away to get your vote in for the current contest "The Last Laugh!"

Sunday at midnight voting ends and so does the deadline to get your entries in for the latest prompt, "What in the hell was that?" Don't forget.

To vote you can simply click on the link in my signature, and to enter the latest contest just send me a private message with your word count, title, if you want it public or private, and any content warnings.

2. Lewdog

I haven't gotten the new prompt from past winner @Paddybass as of yet so I'll give him another day, and if I still haven't gotten it, I'll assign one and let him pick the one for the next contest.

Once again I fell asleep last night not long after taking my evening meds. Given this has become a reoccurring problem I think it is best that I change the deadline time from Midnights on Sunday up six hours to 6:00 pm EST. If this causes a problem for anyone please let me know.

Voting was once again back down this contest after a significant leap the contest before. Please make sure to spread the word to get people to enter, take the time to read the entries, and vote in the contest. It shouldn't take but a few minutes each contest, as it is Flash Fiction afterall. :D

...of course don't tell people you have entered and what your entry is. :rofl:

3. Lewdog

It's already Tuesday of the second week and we only have one entry in the current contest "Head Games." Get those fingers typing and brains working on your entry.

Also don't forget to take the time to vote on the previous contest, "What in the Hell Was That?"

The contestants and I really do appreciate the time people take to enter the contests and vote on the entries!

4. Garball

Garball Sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand. Supporter Contributor

It's just not enough time! I need at until at least 7:00 on July 13 to finish editing my story.

5. Lewdog

Then maybe you should move to England where it would be after midnight on the deadline. :whistle:

6. Lewdog

It has been four weeks and @Paddybass still hasn't given me a prompt. The new contest is set to begin in a little over three hours. Any suggestions on how to solve this problem and what to do in the future if this happens again?

7. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Start a thread where people can post ideas for themes. That way, if someone forgets to PM you a theme, you can use an idea from the thread. That's how it's done for the poetry contest.

8. Lewdog

I've already got one of those. It can be found here.

I guess I'll have to just pick someone's prompt from that list?

9. BookLover

BookLover Contributing Member

Thirdwind's idea is good. Or, as contest administrator, I say you have the authority just to choose one yourself.

10. thirdwind

Yeah. I just choose a random one that I like and that hasn't been used before.

11. Lewdog

This is the first contest with the new posting setup for contests and it seems things have gotten off to a slow start. Don't let something new scare you off. :D This is a chance for everyone to post when they want in the style they want. Take advantage of it. I'd hate to see us have to go back to the old way because of a drop in participation. Let's make this thing work, it is for your benefit.

While your at it, don't forget to take a few minutes to read the entries from contest #9 and place your vote! Entries and votes will end Sunday July 27th at 6pm EST. Don't forget and later be left regretting that you don't have a cool lightening bolt medal!

12. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

@Paddybass' last visit to the forum was Jun 27, 2014. I believe he only checks in sporadically. I would just use suggestions from the suggestion thread and not worry about it. Another option is to save a few themes up from contests with multiple winners.

13. Lewdog

One day left to get your votes in for Contest #9 "Head Games." Please take the few minutes needed to read the entries and vote for the best one. While your at it, don't forget to get your entry in for Contest #10 "Villains." The more entries the merrier!

14. Lewdog

Four days left for the latest contest prompt "Moonshot." Get your entry in today!

15. Lewdog

Right now we are sitting at one entry in the current "Moonshot" contest. I want everyone to know that the contest does not need to be taken literally, it can be used in several different interpretations.

If the contest were to end with three or fewer entries, would anyone be opposed to extending the contest another period in order to get a sufficient amount of entries? If opposed to that idea, what do you think would be an appropriate solution?

16. Garball

I say we blame the Contest Administrator, demand he/she be handed over, and shoot him to the moon!

Wait a second. I might just have an idea...

17. Lewdog

To the moon Alice! To the moon!

18. BookLover

BookLover Contributing Member

I think your idea is great, Lewdog. :)

Sorry, but I don't have anything for this one nor have I had the time to write lately. But I wish the contests in general could be advertised better. More people might write entries for them as well as vote for them. I mean, what happens if Villains ties out? Do five people win? :rofl: Even though all it would take is one more person reading the entries to change that? I guess there's just not much interest in contests. :(

19. Charisma

Charisma Transposon Contributor

I second that.

And I agree; the contests aren't advertised as much. Couldn't they be stickied in the workshop, lounge or other areas of the forum, at least during the voting period? And especially this one. All winners could also be asked to, with no obligations, to advertise it in their signature (I know medals are in itself a promotional, but it's a step further to put it in words). While FF is by no means easier, I'm sure it requires less time than short stories, so if it was better known to everyone and had a consumer base of sorts, we wouldn't run into such trouble. Or so I believe.

As for Villains, well, I personally don't think anyone is a winner in such a case. Just my humble opinion, but if everyone wins it ain't really winning :rolleyes: Let's hope someone decides to pitch in a vote...or at least two to be on the safe side.

20. Lewdog

I wish I had all the answers. Maybe it's the nice summer weather in the U.S. that is effecting the participation, but then again the poetry contest isn't having any problems. So I don't know.

If there is a tie of more than two entries than it will go into a vote-off of all the entries for another contest period.

21. Lewdog

Entries for the "Moonshot" contest will be extended another two weeks in order to get enough entries for voting. Please remember that you don't have to take the prompt literally, it is up to your interpretation! Thanks and good luck.

Also with a tie in the "Villains" contest voting, the entries with a vote will go up for vote for another two weeks to hopefully get a definite winner. Please take the time to read and vote for the best entry!

peachalulu likes this.
  22. Lewdog

Things are still going a bit slow with the Flash Fiction contest. Any suggestions that might change things so more people get involved?

23. Selbbin

Selbbin I hate you Contributor

I went hard and fast in the beginning. I can't really quantify why I stopped being involved, other than my eyes caught another shiny ball.

24. thirdwind

Combine this contest with the short story contest? I'm not even sure why they were separated in the first place. A 150-word story can hold its own against a 3000-word story.

Anyway, when is the deadline for the current contest? I'll try to put something together and enter assuming I have enough time.

25. Garball

I guess I'll contribute as well, but only out of pity for the Contest Administrator.