1. DMF

DMF New Member

Which Of These Ideas Sound Better?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by DMF, May 2, 2011.

I have 2 ideas for 2 books. I cannot figure out which to write first. Can you help?

Idea 1: "In Shadows" - This is based on the idea that Jack The Ripper took a boat into New York and continued killing there until he was caught and put in an asylum. It is not about Jack The Ripper, just a charecter based on him.

Idea 2: "Black Rose" - A female singer named Rose Black is tired of dealing with her fame so she attempts suicide. She goes on to sell millions of records with her band and in the end realizes she actually died and everything since then was in her head as she is in Hell.

So which sounds better?

2. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

They could both work. If I were you, I'd start doing the research you need to do for both, and then continue with just one later, whichever proves the most interesting.

3. JMTweedie

JMTweedie New Member

I would love to read idea 2.

I don't think I could share my energy between two novels. I like to focus on one thing at a time.

4. arron89

arron89 Banned

I don't think #2 is really viable, except maybe as a short story. For it to be novel length, her rise to stardom would have to have its own conflicts and resolutions, which means we would inevitably come to sympathise with her, so then having that ending where she's been dead all along and is actually in hell would just leave the reader feeling cheated and essentially make the bulk of the novel pointless.

Idea #1 could work, but it's a very basic idea and clearly needs to be thought out a lot more before it can be worked into anything.

5. popsicledeath

popsicledeath Banned

The better written one sounds better every time.

6. KillianRussell

KillianRussell New Member

Although the second idea is way hotter,understand writing about music is like dancing about architecture. In the event you pick the second feel free to holler, I may be able to steer you towards a better understanding about the conflict found in the music and/or the recording buisness

7. rainy

rainy New Member

Wait, where's Cog's reply to this? Darn it, now I have to write something besides, "I second that notion."

The short answer is, basically any story concept can succeed or fail depending on how it is written. Which interests you more? Write that one.

8. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

are you in the music business? sounds interesting, I have a singer (male) in my current novel too, but that is not so much a part of the story, in this case it's just what he does. the story is dealing with what goes on in his private life, aside from the career.

9. SeverinR

SeverinR New Member

story 2- I would not like story 2.
    I hate reading a book and when I get to the end its a dream, hallucination, acid trip or otherwise never happened.
    Basically the ending means all the emotion and excitement was for nothing.

Story one might work.

I would write both ideas down.

I have many book ideas started. When I get tired of working with one group of characters, I switch to another.
    I have my characters organized so I don't forget who is who and in what story.