1. azeraftw

azeraftw New Member

What do you think of this plot?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by azeraftw, Oct 13, 2014.

The reader follows a young, arrogant king with a fondness of killing and ruling with an ironhand. Eventually as the story goes on, he ages and slowly becomes a good man, a just ruler, but it costs him his life.

What do you think?

2. tonguetied

tonguetied Contributor Contributor

You have not really described a plot, the beginning and end are not nearly enough for anyone to advise you about your story. Update your post to put in some specific details about how the king changed over the years that are dramatic, not the usual ho-hum, like his first born is killed, etc. You need some new angle to make your story different than the raft of others before it.

3. SocksFox

SocksFox Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

Echoing the aforementioned post, this isn't a plot, it's a concept, ambiguous and amorphous in its consistency, a reprise on the age old story of redemption. It needs to be fleshed out. Right now it has about as much allure as a cardboard cut out. You need to breath life and tangibility into a project to draw your readers in.

You have a few primary long bones of a literary skeleton, do you know what the creature will look like once you assemble the bones?

Fantasy is a tough, yet addicting genre to do because it is the telling of the same concepts over and over. The Hero's Journey, redemption, revenge...so on and so forth. You need to have an idea of how your pieces line up. Create a couple of characters for your piece and play with them, see your story through their eyes. Get a clearer idea of where you want to go.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2014
  4. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

As mentioned, that's not a plot. That's a character arc. What happens to make him a good king? What are the goals to be achieved and the obstacles that get in the way? Why do we care about an evil prince?

5. tonguetied

tonguetied Contributor Contributor

Not sure where you tie in fantasy with the original post but your statement caught my eye. I hadn't given fantasy a thought about its composure, I will have to look for this commonality in the movies I see, I read very few fantasy stories. Thanks for the insight Darkkin.

6. Christine Ralston

Christine Ralston Active Member

I agree with the others. Give us more detail. What makes him a good man? How does he die? Does he become a martyr? Post more of a detailed outline to give us more of an idea where you're heading with this.