1. Blackwaltz

Blackwaltz Member

Fledgling Professional

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Blackwaltz, Jul 30, 2010.

I need a bit of advice...

I've just started doing a few smalltime professional gigs and I keep running into the same problem: I don't know what to charge. I've picked essentially random amounts and I feel like I'm short changing myself. The gigs have been comic books with about 20 pages each.

Frankly I'm not sure if I should charge by hour or page and everywhere else I've gone to has given me pretty random answers.

Any advice you can give me would be a huge help.

2. Cynglen

Cynglen Senior Member

Well, for any business you should consider how much time you put into the project, cost of your tools/resources, and of course how much your product can be sold for (in this case the finished books)

Are you doing the art, writing, or both?

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

what you need to do is check the going rate [googling is easy!] and then charge a bit less, since you're a beginner and need to show you're worth what the competition's charging, plus need to build up a client base and paid credits to attract higher-paying ones...

4. Frost

Frost Contributing Member

But be careful not to undercut yourself too much. I wouldn't actually do this - you should charge according to how good you are. This requires a brutally honest style of self evaluation. Charge to cover your costs and then charge to what ever your work is worth.

5. Blackwaltz

Blackwaltz Member

I'm only doing the writing.