Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Flying with fat folk

Discussion in 'Debate Room' started by thirdwind, Jan 22, 2014.

I'm enjoying a quiet, uneventful bus ride home when a rotund individual sits down next to me. He has trouble fitting in the seat, and let's just say that the rest of the ride was uncomfortable. Thankfully, I only had to endure for 10 minutes, but it got me thinking about sitting next to large people on a long flight. I think we can all agree that those seats on airplanes are tiny. Yet time and time again we see large people trying to fit into one of those seats. This makes the plane ride even more uncomfortable for anyone sitting next to them. So here's my question to you guys. Do you think large people should be made to buy two tickets if they can't fit into a regular seat?

2. Poziga

Poziga Contributing Member Contributor

I once read that one large man had to buy two tickets for a plane and at the end, he did buy them. Unfotunately, they sold him two seats that weren't side by side, but were at different parts of the airplane.:D Talk about bad luck/incompetence.

3. Liam Johnson

Liam Johnson Member

4. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Oh, could this cause some heat.

I'd say so, I guess, I've never really thought about it.

5. Wreybies

Wreybies The Ops Pops Operations Manager Staff Contest Administrator Supporter Contributor

The only thing I would add to this potentially incendiary conversation is that typical airplane seats are unrealistic in size. I'm a little dude. 5' 7", 160 lbs, and while in very good shape, I'm small of frame. Gracile, as the anthropologists say. Pretty standard issue for an equatorial Latino. Even for me, I find coach (or whatever PC term is in use today) seats to be claustrophobic.

Thumpalumpacus, TessaT and matwoolf like this.
  6. Thomas Kitchen

Thomas Kitchen Proofreader in the Making Contributor

Undoubtedly yes! I've also thought for a long while that your luggage for the flight should include your weight as well. I just think it's unfair, otherwise. I'm not going to say anymore, because as Lemex stated, it would cause some heat. :p

7. 123456789

123456789 Contributing Member Contributor

With all due respect it's people like you that make it even worse. Nothing more annoying than smaller people, especially women and children vying for the seats with more leg room (aisle, exit, front row, etc) because even they feel claustrophobic, leaving the bigger people even more screwed.

Plane seating should be based on a queue (like in Southwest), where people are lined up based on size (biggest person goes first). Very obese people should have to buy an extra ticket for the seat next to them.

8. Wreybies

Wreybies The Ops Pops Operations Manager Staff Contest Administrator Supporter Contributor

Ok, seriously, I have no clue where you are coming from with this. Is the thread not catching fire fast enough for you? My point is to say that I understand the plight of heavier people trying to find accommodation when even I find the spacing cramped. That's all I'm saying. Nothing other. Just that.

9. 123456789

I know I was just kind of joking(sorry for not making that clearer)I have a lot of ideas when it comes to plane policies, but maybe I better save for them for another time...

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  10. Fitzroy Zeph

Fitzroy Zeph Contributing Member Contributor

It's a difficult problem when it comes to size. The airlines charge for every ounce of extra baggage, yet can't, or understandably won't, discriminate on weight of the passenger. Buses are little different, but with planes, it's all about weight. They can carry only so much weight. You can be sure there has been more than one conversation about this in some boardroom. I'm not making any judgement on a person's weight but send a Fedex pack, price is just about all calculated on weight. And seeing as we're mostly water, I can't see why we shouldn't be a lot different. It's not just seat size.

11. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributing Member Contributor

If they start charging by weight, then they should give discounts for children, and for not bringing that second bag on board. I don't think that's realistic.

However, that doesn't change the fact that if a person pays for an airline seat, they paid for those skimpy few inches, and they shouldn't have to contribute part of them to a larger person next to them. And I say that as a moderately large person who has to put the armrest down to ensure that I don't take up any of the next seat's space. I am, lately, managing to shrink, but if that trend reversed and I got bigger, I would feel obligated to spring for either business class or two seats.

Now, I do think that the airline bears some responsibility for what I do see as unrealistically narrow seats. I think that they should have a standard way to buy two seats, to ensure that the seats are adjacent, and so on. I suspect that they're not motivated to do that because, if I recall correctly, a business class seat costs a good deal more than two coach seats, and making it possible to buy two coach seats and be comfortable that way would reduce people's motivation to pay for business class.

12. Fitzroy Zeph

Fitzroy Zeph Contributing Member Contributor

@ChickenFreak Flying has become a very unpleasant experience and that's long before including problems this thread brought up. I hate flying, plain and simple. The crumby food, the hostile flight attendants, the arrogant and ignorant safety psychos posing as security personnel, lost luggage, horrible delays, pricing that no one understands, and yes, seats that even if you're thin can cripple you on an overnight flight.

13. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I definitely think airlines need to make the seats bigger. It's uncomfortable for anyone over 5'6". And most of us can't afford to fly 1st class or business class.

Part of the problem is that airlines are getting greedy. They nickel and dime you on everything. I remember reading about an airline (forget which one) that wanted to add an extra seat on its larger planes that fly international routes. So instead of the standard 3-4-3 seating arrangement, it would be something like 3-4-4.

14. JJ_Maxx

JJ_Maxx Banned

We would have to prove whether being fat is a choice or if they are born with it, then we can decide if we're okay in discriminating against them.

KatieValino and 123456789 like this.
  15. TheApprentice

TheApprentice Contributing Member

Sad as this may seem, I think we should have regular seats and large seats. We can't have the ride disturb the not-so-big just cause it may be offensive. We have different sizes for shirts and pants don't we?

16. ChickenFreak

The problem with that as far as the airline is concerned would, I'd guess, be that comfortable large seats would reduce the value of business class.

Edited to add: Business class, according to a quick Googling, costs about four times the cost of coach. Two seats gives you most of the comfort of business class for only two times the cost. So if those big seats were offered, you'd probably have people insisting that they're large enough to qualify for them and happily paying the premium. I suspect that the issue isn't large people being unwilling to pay extra, but the airlines being unwilling to give them the opportunity.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  17. TheApprentice

Yes, but it may be a better business decision in the long run. If a large passenger experiences bad service, such as the case where one was given to seats far away from each other, it can be bad for business. Especially with US and all of us fat Americans.

18. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

You know it all evens out over a lifetime. Can't the skinny people just be happy that there are so many other aspects in life they pay less for than larger people? Skinny people pay less for clothes right? I'm guessing you buy a lot more clothes over a life time than the number of times you have to sit next to a larger person on a plane or bus. Just suck it up and live with it. If you are uncomfortable with it, imagine how uncomfortable the large person is sitting there squished into a seat, sweating, and worrying about what all the other people around them are thinking and saying about them.

19. ChickenFreak

And not just bad for business--if the airlines regularly handle that sort of situation sloppily enough that overweight passengers effectively can't fly even when they're willing to pay extra, I could see the government stepping in to tell them just how they're going to serve those passengers.

20. JJ_Maxx

JJ_Maxx Banned

I work at a hospital, and we've changed all of our wheelchairs to 'bariatric' wheelchairs, and little old ladies look like this in them:

[​IMG]

21. ChickenFreak

It's not about sitting next to the larger person--it's not about somehow being exposed to their presence. It's not about emotional discomfort. It's not about money.

It's about physical discomfort. It's about not having room to sit in. If an airplane seat is seventeen inches, that's already too little room for comfortable sitting. If a larger person needs twenty-five inches, that leaves nine inches for the other person to sit in. Nine inches. For hours.

No, it's not the larger person's fault, but it's not the other person's fault, either. It's the airline's responsibility to find a solution, but meanwhile, I'm not willing to sit in a nine-inch space for a three-hour flight. If the larger person wants to sue the airline for false advertising, with the argument that when they sell a seat they should make it clear that they're selling a seat large enough for a fourteen-year-old child, sure, I may help pay their legal fund. Meanwhile, I'm not going to sit in nine inches. I could use twenty inches myself, so I'm determined to keep every last millimeter of my seventeen.

VM80 likes this.
  22. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

What? Do you realize that airplane seats have arm rests? Your math just doesn't get it. If they are an extremely large person there might be some 'roll-over,' but 8 inches rolling over into the other seat...bring less rhetoric and more substance to the argument.

23. ChickenFreak

They have arm rests that can be raised. If a larger person is already seated, they've probably raised the armrest. I don't know what happens if you demand that the armrest be lowered and it cannot be lowered.

24. TheApprentice

I don't think most people are arguing only on behalf of the skinny passenger. Personally, I would want the comfort of both. If you were a little wide for a normal seat, wouldn't the normal seat be uncomfortable? You don't think the seats should be a little bigger for the comfort of any passenger?

25. 123456789

Actually, I find the title of this thread offensive. Can we please use the words overweight or obese?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.