1. Scarecrow28

Scarecrow28 New Member

Any good FREE antivirus programs?

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by Scarecrow28, Oct 5, 2008.

Are there any good and free antivirus programs that I can find on the internet? I've had CA Suite for a year and have been fairly satisfied with its performance, but its about to expire and I'd prefer not to have to resubscribe to the service. Thanks in advance for any responses!

2. AnonymousWriter

AnonymousWriter New Member

3. Jade

Jade Active Member

I used to use Spybot Search & Destroy. I won't pretend to know anything about computers but it never did mine any harm that I know of.

4. Scarecrow28

Scarecrow28 New Member

I heard somewhere that there was a free version of Macafree (please ignore it if I spelled it incorrectly). Is their any merit to this?

5. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Mcaffee is like being shot in the face. So is Norton. AVG, I'll vouch for. Completely free, and I've yet to have a single virus (unless you count Vista as a virus...)

6. Nilfiry

Nilfiry Senior Member

There's avast! Antivirus.

7. The Freshmaker

The Freshmaker <insert obscure pop culture reference> Contributor

Spybot is good for getting rid of spyware and tracking cookies, but it's not a good substitute for a real antivirus program. I run both Spybot and AVG, and have yet to have any problems.

According to some reviews I've been reading, though, your best bet might be Avast! 4 Home Edition, coupled with a spyware program like Spybot. You can download Avast here, and Spybot S&D here.

8. Scarecrow28

Scarecrow28 New Member

Thanks everybody. I'll probably use AVG.

9. Raven

Raven Banned

Seconded.
    I use F-Secure but if your after a freebee then AVG is the best for free.

10. SonnehLee

SonnehLee Contributor Contributor

Kind of on the same topic, but I get these pop-ups telling me about viruses I supposedly have and how I should dowload some random virus program, and I have to click through a bazillion of em to get it to actually go away. Any way to fix that?

11. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Pop up blocker?

12. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

I used AVG and it crashed my laptop. The technician that put it on, had to give me my money back from the $ I paid him to fix my laptop cause he broke it even more... I don't like AVG or any of the others either. I'll stick with the paid virus protection I have. It has a guarantee!

13. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

AVG Anti-virus is the best that I've found. It's also free.

http://free.avg.com/download-avg-ant...s-free-edition

I just cant say anything bad about this (on my behalf)

Though, i did install this on someone elses (they wanted it), and it killed their computer, im just guessing they had a very bad bug which may have been anti-abvg, caue it made no sense lol

14. The Freshmaker

The Freshmaker <insert obscure pop culture reference> Contributor

Is it just when you're online, or is it something actually on your computer?

Surprisingly enough, a large percentage of spyware and malware comes from antivirus companies. Some just cause popups, but I've seen a couple that completely mess up your computer. They want you to think that the only way to get rid of their little virus is to buy their program.

(I had one on my computer called SpywareQuake or something. It installed a little thingie on my taskbar that popped up every couple seconds. My friend had one from WinAntiVirus that blocked her internet browser and wouldn't let her get online.)

Spybot: Search and Destroy, as long as you keep it updated, usually gets rid of these things.

15. Gladiatus

Gladiatus New Member

I have AVG and havent had a single virus.

However, that doesnt stop my computer having hardware failures and complete system breakdowns. Luckily my uncle is a computer programmer and hardware engineer, yay for freebies :D

16. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I also use AVG which was recommended by the family computer guy. Husband of my boyfriend's cousin... :rolleyes:

My laptop also recently suffered a complete system meltdown which my family computer guy fixed for me, for free. The computer I got back was actually better than new! He did a clean install of Windows XP Professional with none of the bogus beta software that comes on a new machine. I've never had so much space on my hard drive, and she runs much faster than when she was new. Yeah for family freebie hook-ups! :D

17. SonnehLee

SonnehLee Contributor Contributor

It's only when I'm online. Also, it'll come up with random searches too. Which, are slightly entertaining at times, but still annoying.