1. J.P.Clyde

J.P.Clyde Prince of Melancholy Contributor

Food Combination for Foodies

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by J.P.Clyde, Aug 5, 2011.

I took a search the last thread was made in 2009 that was 2 years ago. Therefore I am making a new thread of my own. Now I am not just asking for weird or strange food combination, but I am asking for other kinds of food combination as well.

So share with us your food combos.

I like to put apple slices with cheese slices on crackers. It is delicious.

2. AfterBroadway

AfterBroadway New Member

I have a really good steak and potatoes recipe that I make and they are perfect together. The steak is a little sweet, and I roast the potatoes with a few herbs and spices, with chopped bell peppers and it's really earthy and hearty.

I also make the best wings I've ever had, haha. My favorite food. Wings, mashed potatoes, and cheddar garlic biscuits.

A weird food/drink combination I like is popcorn and milk. Delicious.

3. J.P.Clyde

I cannot eat meat, sadly.

I like tamales and ketchup. Which everyone seems to think is gross.

4. AfterBroadway

AfterBroadway New Member

Oh....oh my god. That's the...saddest thing I've ever heard. Dear god. I'll pray for you.

5. J.P.Clyde

I'm allergic to an enzyme in animal protein.

6. Marranda

Marranda New Member

AfterBroadway: That was a funny response.
    J.P.Clyde: Is it All animal protein- to include fish- or is it just land animal protein?

A non-vegetarian thing I like to make is ground turkey burgers. But before I cook the patties I like to mix in some shredded raddish, green onions, minced garlic, and onion powder.

A vegetarian spin-off of that turkey burger is potato burgers. I just shred up some potatos, raddish, green onions and garlic, mix it all together with worcestershire sauce and a dash of soy sauce, and make little hashbrown patties with them. They're pretty good on their own, or with a sunny-side up egg/fried egg. Because the base is potato, I try to steer clear of adding more carbs by pairing it with a bun or bread.

I also make amazing stuffed mushrooms (vegan and non-vegan alike) so let me know if you want the recipe! :D

7. NikkiNoodle

NikkiNoodle Active Member

My brother likes Ranch dressing on his Spaghetti.

I love to drink milk while eating an Artichoke, it leaves a unique metallic taste in my mouth.
    Kangaroo is VERY tasty meat. So is Ostrich.

My 3 favorite dishes are

Steak Dianne
    Eggs Benedict
    and this really good pork schnitzel with mushroom sauce and cheesy spaetzle that I ordered every time we ate at my favorite restaurant in Bavaria (roughly translated the Brewers Pot). Awesome food if you are ever in Amberg, Ge.

8. NikkiNoodle

NikkiNoodle Active Member

My brother likes Ranch dressing on his Spaghetti.

I love to drink milk while eating an Artichoke, it leaves a unique metallic taste in my mouth.
    Kangaroo is VERY tasty meat. So is Ostrich.

My 3 favorite dishes are

Steak Dianne
    Eggs Benedict
    and this really good pork schnitzel with mushroom sauce and cheesy spaetzle that I ordered every time we ate at my favorite restaurant in Bavaria (roughly translated the Brewers Pot). Awesome food if you are ever in Amberg, Ge.

9. Lydia

Lydia Contributor Contributor

Hmm... I like popcorn (salty or sweet) in my applesauce and sometimes I eat cheese on my pancakes- I'm sure there are other things, but I can't remember them right now.

10. art

art Contributor Contributor

Not sure what this will mean to non-Britons but Bovril on buttered, hot crossed buns (or tea cake types things) is delicious. It's a sweet and sour deal.

11. Marranda

Marranda New Member

What's bovril?

I like putting spicy flavored tuna in my mac 'n cheese, and top it off with grated parmesean cheese and BBQ sauce :D It's not the healthiest thing in the world, but all those fattening flavors- Yumm! :D

12. art

art Contributor Contributor

Bovril is a beef extract product that you can spread on bread. Bread is a ...:p Some folk mix it with hot water as an alternative to tea/coffee.

It is very strong (and in many ways quite disgusting LOL) and a little goes a long way, hence the joke:

'I won a year's supply of Bovril yesterday! The jar arrived this morning.'

13. J.P.Clyde

When I say animal protein I mean animal alike. Land or sea.

I like yeast extract on my toast. I put a little garlic with it and I'm good to go.

14. Marranda

Marranda New Member

When did you find you are allergic? That's got to make cooking a creative process sometimes. Right?

15. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Meat allergies are interesting, because many of the allergies are to proteins like BSA that are denatured with heat. So cooking the meat thoroughly can often help. And allergies to proteins in one kind of meat don't necessarily render one allergic to other kinds. Enzymes are proteins, and it would be interesting to find out which protein causes the allergy in any given instance. Then you could determine how and what you could eat in terms of meat.

There are also non-protein allergies associated with meat.

16. J.P.Clyde

When I went vegan 3 years ago. And then tried to slowly go back to having meat. That was last year. I use to be fugly. Okay, lol that was a bit of a joke.

But I use to have a severe case of full face psoriasis and then there was some on my back, then on my hands. When I stopped eating meat it disappeared.

But last year I use to have weeks when I just ate chicken products, and the reaction would happen. I detox and then do it again with beef, then pork, then fish, then this and that.

So I officially cannot eat meat.

All my eczema and psoriasis issues as a kid was caused by the one thing I love very much.

You're talking to the person who has to have everything well done. I mean I better not see any f-ing pink in it or I won't eat it at all.

That was when I ate meat of course.

One time my family complained that my meat was to dry. But I got paranoid if I saw any color that resembled raw meat. rofl. I made "cardboard bacon", but I loved crispy crispy crispy bacon. I liked when there was no wobbly fat at all. The fat had to be cooked too.

17. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Sounds like a real pain. What if you go out to eat? Do you have to worry about a pan that might have been used for meat and then used to cook your food, like people do with shellfish? Or is that far enough removed not to be an issue?

18. J.P.Clyde

I'm annoying at restaurants. I have had several waitresses tell me they couldn't serve me. One lady hung up on me when I was asking about ingredients in their bread.

I am not trying to be annoying. But I have to make sure.

That and I'm already allergic to milk. And not the friendly type of milk allergy called I can't poo or to much poo. I mean you better called the coroners office if you're going to serve me any milk product.

19. AfterBroadway

AfterBroadway New Member

I drink lots of milk and poo just right.

20. J.P.Clyde

Well I am not that kind of lactose intolerant. Some people drink milk and get constipated or have diarrhea.

I have the kind that gets me hive reactions and anaphylactic shock. It can happen look it up on the internet of cases. Some girl even died.

It's why one day at the restaurant I asked the lady if the chefs could wash the pan before making my hashbrowns in oil. That I cannot even have the contamination of milk.

She replied, she can't do that.

Well she gets the manager for my request. The manager is also a bit rude. But so is the family unit they had to eat here.

So I said, If you want I guess I can call the coroner and the ambulance to come pick me up afterward than.

They told me they'd wash the pan. Since where my family unit sits is usually near the kitchen, I hear them yelling at the chef to clean the pan. hahahaa.

21. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

McDonald's chicken nuggets in chocolate shake. :confused: I don't get it either.

22. Marranda

Marranda New Member

I've never done the nuggets in a chocolate shake, but their fries in a choclate shake- now we're talkin'!!

23. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Ooh, that too! :D

24. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Fish fingers and custard, anyone? ;)

25. Jayyy1014

Jayyy1014 Jerrica Contributor

Hmm, Peanut butter with oreos,
    Crackers with ranch dip ham and cheese
    Hotdog with chili mustard and ranch dressing.. :p
    got to agree with gigi, the chicken nuggets in a chocolate shake DELISH! As well as french fries in a chocolate shake :D
    My neighbor seems to like ketchup on vanilla ice cream.. I might have to try that sometime.