1. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

Food help...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Torana, Feb 18, 2011.

My kids are on a high calorie diet and I need some ideas for high calorie snacks I can send to school for my kids... anyone got any that doesn't include cakes, chips, processed fruit snacks, nuts, bananas, fruit leather or cheese? I'm at a loss...

2. Dandroid

Dandroid New Member

i don't know if these are available near you...but Larabars are made with entirely natural ingredients and no added junk...i am talking about an ingredient list 5 items long...ie...apple, lime juice, dates, walnut...etc

http://www.larabar.com/

3. w176

w176 Contributor Contributor

Avokado.

Homamade beef jerky.

Homemade smoothies and yoghurt.

Sandwitches are calorie dense.

Pancakes, but that might count as cakes.

Milk.

Edit: Hardboiled eggs! In salads or on sandwiches. Or just as they are with a pinch of salt and some spice mix. Lots of calories and nutrients.

4. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

Adding pouring cream, butter and honey adds lots of calories fairly healthily.

Raisins and other dried fruit (Dates are big one)
    porridge with cream and honey (if they can take it in a little pot.
    sandwiches with mayonaise and butter
    Add plenty of butter to popcorn
    Homemade chips are quite healthy - high in vit C and potassium
    Fruit juice
    Rice Crackers
    Pasta
    Yorkshire puddings

Or just double what you usually give them - especially fruit.

5. Islander

Islander Contributor Contributor

Bean salad
    Chocolate mousse, vanilla pudding, bread pudding and similar

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

have you googled for 'high calorie healthy snacks'?

7. Torana

thanks for the replies everyone. I've got a few ideas from this thread. Hopefully they'll permit them...

maia, I did, most of them said bananas (kids won't eat as they are dry and horrible over here atm), nuts (peanut butter), anything chocolate, and other things the kids aren't permitted to take to school. Hence the problem I'm facing. They only allow for lunch orders once a week, as they firmly believe that children should have sandwiches and fruit only at school. Problem is, my children are on a high calorie diet to help maintain a healthy weight, as they are very skinny like myself, and they require more calories than most during the day. I've not know teachers to be so anal and uncooperative about it as these two are.

The kids aren't allowed fruit juice at school, only water, they don't like children taking anything that could be considered a desert, and anything with nuts is not permitted in schools over here due to the fact that their may be a child in the school with nut allergies. I may just start going in and having morning tea and lunch with her away from her class so she is able to have the diet that is required for her to maintain a healthy weight. We have worked hard over the last year to get her to a healthy weight and to be able to maintain it. I am not going to let some pompous teachers undo all that hard work.

8. w176

w176 Contributor Contributor

Go around the school teachers. Go to the school nurse. As soon as you got some kind of note from the school nurse, chances are you will automatically will override the school teachers.

And if there isn't a school nurse, go to the principal with a written recommendation of the doctor.

Grapes and kiwi is quite calorie dense too.

9. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

Wow, what kind of school are your kids at? Is it a private school or public? Sounds very overbearing with all those regs saying what kinds of food the kids can and cannot bring for lunch. I mean I can understand the thing about the peanuts because of allergies, but everything else is ridiculous.

10. Elgaisma

Other alternative is to demand your child has extra breaks and snacks throughout the day and has extra breaks. I would get a medical note, take it to the school governors/PTA. If they won't break the rules on what then they need to on how much.

Would she be allowed a whey protein shake ? That alongside her extra snack would add calories. Would they allow the rice cracker crisps ? Otherwise she is kind of stuck with high calorie sandwich, raisins and humous etc Pasta salad.

11. art

art Contributor Contributor

Seeds. Pumpkin, sunflower etc

12. Elgaisma

Art has just given me an idea - type graze box into google. Also bento boxes - I do one up for my daughter and allows me to send my kids out with things like sweet and sour chicken for snacks. Graze boxes are a commercial site but they may have ideas.

Are you allowed flapjacks ? What about oatcakes ?

13. Torana

Thanks for the advice everyone. It's really appreciated and given me heaps of ideas for her snacks. Sending her with yoghurt, 4 lots of cheese and crackers, orange juice (for recess only), loads of fruit and veg, a sandwich and will be baking some puff pastry cheese and bacon rolls for the week as well. I also have trail mix (nuts removed of course) which has sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds and lots of dried fruit with extra sultanas, and will be contacting a dietitian in the next week or so to get further advice on snacks the school will approve of. Also going to send her in with fruit in syrup this week too.

I really do appreciate all the tips give and will try all of them with her and see if she will eat them at school.

Thanks heaps.

14. LordKyleOfEarth

LordKyleOfEarth Contributor Contributor

Chicken cordon bleu, quiche, things like that. Google keto diets. Not tuT you need to follow it (no do I really advise that either) but keto is very high calorie, and they are healthy tasty calories at that. When I experimented with one I'd drink a cup of heavy cream with every meal. No sugar, just wonderful fats!

15. SonnehLee

SonnehLee Contributor Contributor

I agree with this. Your kids have legitimate needs and the school should accommodate them.