1. lastresort

lastresort Banned

The Pointless TV Show

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by lastresort, Feb 4, 2016.

At the risk of sounding like an absolute Aussie dinosaur, I'd like to discuss this TV program. I say dinosaur, because it is fresh for Australians, having only just started on TV here but has been on in the UK since 2009. A few things:
    1) Do you think Richard Osman is funny? I find him annoyingly know-it-all. Reminds me of some people who love to enlighten others with"fascinating" trivia. I find him awkward and dull.
    2) It's a brilliant concept/idea for a program. The kind of idea that we writers need. It is fresh. Makes me think I should be brainstorming similar ideas for a game show.
    3) Have you noticed how fake the host's "sorry you have to leave the show, we really enjoyed having yous" are?
    4) I sometimes think the host, Alexander Armstrong, is annoyed by Osman.
    5) The 100 point penalty seems devastating to me. Too severe?
    6) But overall, I understand why the show is successful. The game itself gets viewers in. "oh maybe I know some stuff others don't know on this". And it is not always the nerd who knows it either.
    7) The show motivates me to create something new and fresh myself. Not sure what it is yet.

2. outsider

outsider Contributor Contributor

Agreed, Osman does come over a bit of a twat. You do know both he and Alexander Armstrong are comedians?
    Armstrong being one half of the duo, Armstrong and Miller, I believe.
    Osman also tore Jeremy Clarkson a new one on Have I Got News For You:
    E.T.A: As for the show itself, I rather like it, being the self-professed smart arse that I am.

lastresort likes this.
  3. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

1) I've warmed to him. When I first watched it I found his and Alexander's exchanges excruciating to watch, and I felt Alexander
    was doing his best with a poor sidekick. It can still be a little awkward but they've settled into their roles more over the years.

2) It's just a reverse Family Fortunes, but I'm too unimaginative to come up with anything. :D

3) He seems as genuine as any game show host to me. I'm sure he doesn't really give a toss.

4) As number 1... I think Alexander carries Osman somewhat, but over time I think they've become friends.

5) It's the only way you can do it. After all, you could get 99 for a correct answer.

6) I think it's held its audience over here for several years. For me, the biggest issue with it is that if there's a round you know nothing about (e.g., for me, fashion or football) it's a big chunk of the programme that's really dull to watch. I still watch it though.

Have you got the board game? I got it a few Christmases ago and it's really good.

lastresort likes this.
  4. lastresort

lastresort Banned

outsider
    thanks I watched the clip and he does come across much better.
    I didn't know Armstrong and him formed a comedy duo.
    By the way, there are some British shows I just find hard to get into such as QI with Stephen Fry. Perhaps the humour is very UK centric? meaning you need to live there to get it.

tenderiser
    thanks, nice detail. OK I suppose I could warm to this guy. I might be projecting my own nerdish self-loathing too. The board game? Just need a few other enthusiasts to play with here, that's all. :)

5. Sack-a-Doo!

Sack-a-Doo! Contributor Contributor

I've never seen the show in question, but from the sounds of it, I think I'd prefer QI, despite how caustic Stephen can be at times and the overtones of prejudice against other countries.

6. js58

js58 Member

I've been watching Pointless for a while now. I think what I like the most about it is the fact that contestants are rewarded for knowing the most obscure, i.e. the most difficult answers. It makes a nice change to all the game shows that reward contestants just for showing up and remembering their own names.

I usually watch the second half of the show after they've finished getting to know the contestants. I can't stand that part of the show. It just seems to drag on for far too long.

I'm not a fan of Richard Osman either.