1. Lilith Addington

Lilith Addington Member

For those of you who write 3,000+ words per day...

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Lilith Addington, Apr 22, 2016.

...How long does it take you? How much of your day is spent writing? I'm just wondering, because it takes me an hour to write 1,000 words. Is that an average pace, or do those of you who write so much more each day write faster?

2. KokoN

KokoN Active Member

It takes me about an hour to write 1,000 words too. However, I don't write 3,000 plus words per day (because I don't have that kind of time on my hands). Also I think it depends on the scene you're writing and how well you have it plotted out beforehand. The more plotting you do, hypothetically the faster the writing would go, at least from my experiences.

3. AASmith

AASmith Contributing Member

It really depends. Its hard to say because i never spend X amount of hours glued to my word document. My mind if all over the place. I may be typing a sentence of "we went to the store" and then i start thinking about shopping which leads me to think about an episode from a tv show which makes me think about what the character was wearing and that I like it and then I google "was was so and so wearing..." you get the point.

When i write I start from 9pm and go to about midnight and I can get 3k words in during that time so yea 1000 an hour is about right

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
  4. zoupskim

zoupskim Contributing Member Contributor

Hard to tell. In an hour I can do a chapter length first draft, if I know what it is I'm writing. It all depends, though. Yesterday I got tied up for two hours trying to describe the layout of a train station.

5. Cave Troll

Cave Troll Bite the bullet, do your own thing. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    IDK, how long it takes me to write 1K. Though I have been trying to write every day, even if it is on side projects and not my main work. Though today seems to be an exception. :p It varies anywhere from 600-1000+ all the way up to maybe 2-10 full pages. Though it is all progress, I wish I could write 10 pages a day. :p Wishful thinking, will get me nowhere. :D

6. KevinMcCormack

KevinMcCormack Member

I'm one of those people who needs about a 2hr 'runway' at the start of a writing session, so there's an overhead time that impacts my 'per hour' estimates.

My 'composition' formula appears to be 300 words/hr, minus first 2 hours zero productivity.

My 'pruning' formula is about minus 30 words/hr, minus first 1 hour zero productivity.

My 'polishing' formula is about 3,000 words/hr, minus first 1 hour zero productivity.

7. Lea`Brooks

Lea`Brooks Contributing Member Contributor

I start writing shortly after waking up and write until lunch. I can get about 4K+ words in that time. But I'm also doing other things as I go, mainly fact checking my notes and characters. So it takes a couple hours. Six at the most.

8. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man Contest Administrator Supporter Contributor

I'm pretty erratic: I'm not one of those people who insists you have to write every day or your fingers will rust off. The most I've ever done in a day was just under 11k but 3k is more usual. I sometimes get 30-60 minutes of uninterrupted writing time in the morning, then something like 3 hours of very interrupted time in the evening.

All in all, 1k an hour sounds about right to me.

9. BayView

BayView Contributing Member Contributor

I average roughly 1K an hour, but I rarely write for more than about an hour straight.

So, on weekends or other days when I don't have interruptions, I might wake up, write for an hour, then shower and walk the dog and putter around the house and then write another hour. Then I might make something to eat, putter some more (laundry, housework, whatever) then have a nap, then wake up and write another hour. Do something else, write an hour. Make dinner, write an hour. That sort of thing.

10. mrieder79

mrieder79 Not a ground squirrel

When I'm in unfamiliar territory, that is, at the beginning of a new scene or deciding which way to go with the story I'll do about 500/hour. If I'm very certain then 750 to 1k/hour is not unusual