1. Cerrus

Cerrus New Member

For those who act.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Cerrus, Oct 24, 2012.

Hello all. I have a question for those that act or have acted in plays. I'm a 16(Nearly 17) Junior High School student, and I'm a bit of a shy and timid person, but I enjoy acting(When no one's around of course.). I want to force myself out of my comfort zone and audition for plays, but I can't find any! (Any that use people under 18 that is.) Does anyone know where to look to find play auditions for people my age?

And please don't just say "Have you tried Google? Dumbass." because yes, I have tried Google but I still can't find anything.

2. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Alive in the Superunknown

Not sure where you live, but cities sometimes have repertory companies. I would look at the venues in your area which are used in live drama, and see if I could get info on the staging companies there.

Does you high school offer a drama class? That would be another route.

3. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

Ditto what Thump said
    and or if your school doesn't have a drama class why not start your own?

4. Cerrus

Cerrus New Member

Thanks for the tips guys. I've looked into some community theatres but I can't really find much in my age group. Also, 1. My school doesn't have a drama class 2. I'm home schooled so I exactly start my own xD. I'm still looking though.

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

I've looked into some community theatres but I can't really find much in my age group.

...it's not a matter of finding a 'community theater' for your 'age group' but only of finding any community theater that is casting a part for someone your age... many plays have parts for young actors... plus, if you are able to act older than your age, make-up makes it possible for you to act ANY part!... that's the magic of the acting profession and the world of the theater...

...so, seek out any theater groups within traveling distance and contact them, saying you'd like to audition for their next production... you don't even have to mention your age, if they don't ask...

...break a leg!

6. JessWrite

JessWrite Word Nerd & Proud! Contributor

My 14 year old cousin is into acting and has acted in her community kid/teen plays, but she also went to Drama Camp. This is a bit long-term since Summer has already passed, but maybe you can look to see if there is a Drama Camp (for teens) in your state, for next year. :)

Ps~Yay for homeschooling! I was home schooled too. Have you ever been to Co-ops? I never went to them, but the one in my area had a drama class.

7. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Alive in the Superunknown

This. Don't impose any limitations on yourself. Let them tell you "no, thanks".

I imagine a younger actor would be useful in an adult company, for covering roles that the adults are too old to pull off.

They may need a legal release form signed by your parents, or have rehearsal schedules that don't mesh well with your schooling or whatnot, but cross those bridges when you get to them.

8. Cerrus

Cerrus New Member

Thanks once again for the help guys. I've found a place that seems to accept younger actors(Even for adult roles.).

@JessWrite

I've actually never been to a co op. Not really sure what it is either. xD

9. JessWrite

JessWrite Word Nerd & Proud! Contributor

That's great you found a place you can audition!

I'm not completely familiar with co-ops (cooperative learning) either. But, it's where a group of homeschoolers meet together and parents teach the specific subjects. My friends have gone to co-ops to take extra curricular activities, like drama. :)

10. Cerrus

Cerrus New Member

Hmm, I've actually never heard of those before. I might look into them. I hardly get out of the house anyway haha.