1. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

How is Ms Marvel changing stories for the better

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by jazzabel, Apr 9, 2014.

This video explores so much of what we've been talking about on the forum, from creating female characters, impact novels have on collective consciousness, Bechdel test, lack of representation, bias, feminist perspective that's relevant to men and women alike and comics. All in a really interesting and easy-going way. First 7 minutes are dedicated to this, the rest is talking about other things. Have a look!

T.Trian likes this.
  2. Robert_S

Robert_S Senior Member

I'm not much of a comic book reader, but recently, a few people recommended I move my story to graphic novel to tie the story and characters to a medium other than feature length movie script if I wanted to retain the rights. So I'm reading GNs and CBs now.

I'm hoping, that while the lead is male, his female counterpart isn't cliche'. I don't intend to make her a damsel in distress, but an intelligent and decisive female who doesn't take much crap from anyone, not even the MC.

Duchess-Yukine-Suoh likes this.
  3. jazzabel

@Robert_S : That's interesting! I hope it all works out for your story :) I used to love comics and graphic novels when I was a kid, Modesty Blaise being one of my all time favourites, and I think my storytelling was influenced by the comics quite a bit. I love the whole inside joke, subversive element, humour, imagery, fast pace thing. What I liked about the video is that it actually explored all contemporary storytelling - you can apply what's been said onto movies, tv, books, cartoons, anything. I once read that the reason why we don't really have many high quality female leads is because we all grew up with stories very much skewed towards male heroes, so we haven't the necessary skills, if you wish, to conceptualise our own. Only rarely we succeed which leads to the big discrepancy. I thought that was an interesting way of looking at it.

4. MLM

MLM Banned for trolling

Why do we use jargon like "MC" instead of saying "main character"? It's tacky.

5. jazzabel

I agree that it's tacky, but it's shorter (my main reason for using it) :D

6. Robert_S

Robert_S Senior Member

It's shorter. I sometimes say prot and antag instead of protagonist and antagonist, respectively. Sometimes I work in shorthand and sometimes it causes problems. Some people don't know what MC stands for, or IP or some other oft used acronyms.

Anyway, my main character* is male with a female who ends up making him what he becomes. He is upfront doing all the work because he is human and she is not. I imagine humans not being able to relate to her, so he is face she needs to accomplish the goal.

7. MLM

MLM Banned for trolling

Nice vid, btw. Haven't read Ms. Marvel. Stopped reading lamestream universe Marvel when they ruined Moon Knight a few years back. A few years ago I would have said that there was no way marvel comics could be a real source of progressive political media with so much of the ethos being grounded in american dream patriotism, but nowadays, with the movies being the main face of the company and the comics in the background, looks like it may be opening up a bit. Kinda neat!

Not expecting an anti-regime superhero or anything, but baby steps, right? :p

jazzabel likes this.