1. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributing Member Contributor

Forcing myself to write a difficult scene - Help

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Elgaisma, Jan 10, 2011.

I have a scene I have trying to write since Christmas and everything in me is refusing to write. I know I need to do it, I am not blocked I know what it contains and I know really I just need to push it.

It is not a case of forcing myself to write since Christmas day - I have written a 20K novella, 10K of this book (avoiding said scene), eight short stories and started two new novels. I'm not unproductive.

How do you get the courage to write the really difficult stuff ? The stuff you know will make you weep, wail and gnash of teeth?

2. Unit7

Unit7 Contributing Member Contributor

Most cases I just write it. My only problem with writing such scenes is I feel I could never capture what I see in my head.

But no matter how tragic I find the scene I usually just write it.

3. jwatson

jwatson Active Member

I know the feeling. I think what you really need is some encouragement. It's not going to be perfect the first time you write it. I don't think you need to be scared and turned away from doing it. Your encouragement is obvious, as you stated. It NEEDS to be done. So, even if it's difficult, why not give it a shot? Get some coffee/tea, or whatever, sit there looking at the keyboard, and just start writing. If it doesn't work the first time, try again. Keep going, it will work. If you don't feel like you're doing a good enough job, you should continue! Once you have finished, go back and fix it up. Like I said, it won't be amazing at first. You need to try if you want to get it done! :)

4. Leah Woods

Leah Woods Active Member

Yeah, the best advice is just to write it (the advice I'm not following myself). Just close your eyes and write everything you had in mind. After you finish, go over and see if you missed anything, did you capture the atmosphere just right.

And most probably you'll rewrite it several times. What I find that generally helps me is if I start writing as new Word file. Just the whole blankness and no word count helps me to get going.

5. Elgaisma

I know that is what I keep telling myself. I sit myself down open my work in progress and half an hour later i have a short story lol Or today I wrote a scene that is fantastic for my book but not this one. I have added 4000 words to said story today. It is hampering me seriously this novel should be finished by now,

Oh I have written it in first draft form - this is the rewrite.

6. jwatson

jwatson Active Member

There is no reason for you to still be dwelling on this unfinished part. I think you're getting too caught up in the supposed difficulty. I believe you can do it! You just have to begin somewhere, with any word or any thought. It will come from there.

7. Elgaisma

I know I am being silly aren't I ? Guess I should get my box of tissues out, some herbal tea and get it finished tonight. I know it is going to break my heart if i write it as well as it needs to be.

8. FrankABlissett

FrankABlissett Active Member

I can relate. My first (and only) erotica was difficult to start, but once I broke through the wall and got into the lurid details, my "Ohh - no, that's not the word I want" neurons kicked in and it wasn't so bad after all.

Hmm - what if you tried this? Maybe you could open Notepad and try writing out the scene there. It may not seem as "permanent" there. Once you get it started, stitch it into your prose and go from there.

-Frank

9. Mallory

Mallory Mallegory. Contributor

Use your little tool Millie the Story Fairy.

After each paragraph or two, have her zap your characters to a better place for a tea break and pep talk, then zap them back again. Once you're all done, have her transport them back to Covesea Island and erase the trauma from their memories.

Once the whole scene is done, go back and edit out the Millie parts lol.

10. Elgaisma

lol sounds like a plan Mallory I am one step closer Socrates had a game of football with the kids and a press conference announcing he would be performing a ritual that evening that would begin to restore everything back to normal.

11. JeffS65

JeffS65 Contributing Member

I stopped at a section I couldn't write. Didn't write for quite a while over that one. Still haven't written the section yet. So I really have no advice on how to do it now.

Since I generally know what the section is to contain, I thought I would just skip it for now and go to the next chapter. I did and picked up writing. I had other ideas I needed to move ahead with and was tired of waiting. Sounds like what you did.

I'm not avoiding in as much as I'm not sure how to structure it. Since my writing is largely a gestational experience (in my head), I haven't wrapped my head around the approach. I won't write it until it just vibes right. I don't have to know every word or even some of the things I will write, just to know how to explain to the reader the timeframe this section comprises.

Until then, I'll skip it until I feel it's cool in my head.

So I guess my advice is not to force it. I think the forced writing will be evident. Write it when it seems like you are comfortable with it.

12. Islander

Islander Contributing Member Contributor

Difficult as in technically difficult, or as in taking an emotional toll? (I can imagine myself weeping, wailing and gnashing my teeth at both.)

13. Elgaisma

Actually I think it is both - emotionally it will take a massive toll, but also it has to be spot on technically as well - if I get it wrong it will just be twisted.

14. Show

Show Contributing Member Contributor

Usually that stuff comes the easiest. It's the stuff that is kind of uneventful but is necessary to bring story from Point A to Point B that I have trouble with. The tragedy comes the easiest.

15. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

What I'd do is this: Say "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry..." to the character(s) in question and just go through it.

1 person likes this.
  16. Elgaisma

This time it isn't the character it is firmly me - he is pretty well resigned to doing it. He is grumbling but going along with it. I think I am scared about getting it wrong.

17. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Well, you can always just revise it. Just have that scene in your head and write it out.

18. Mallory

Mallory Mallegory. Contributor

This.

19. J_Jammer

J_Jammer Banned

I kill a few characters in my first novel of my trilogy that I really like. Really, really like...but as the story progressed I knew they had to die. It is hard because no revenge for their deaths will happen any time soon.

For those scenes I wrote it out as I felt bad and I'd reread it to see if I still felt bad and I did. I know I can make each part worse as in more emotionally draining as I felt writing it...but for the moment they work because they made me feel as bad as I did reading it as I did writing it.

If you write it as you feel it, then you'll capture something you wouldn't capture if you wrote something you didn't feel.

Plus...no one has to read it until you allow them to. So it's just you and your characters as you write it.

20. Elgaisma

I have already done the first draft of it. It needs completely rewritten.

Anyway I am writing it now - have got through part of it now need to write the main events.

21. Virginia Slim

Virginia Slim New Member

Yorkshire in the glorious north of England
    What is a "20K novella" and "10K of this book"? Perhaps you mean percent?

22. Elgaisma

no K is one thousand. so 20K is twenty thousand, 10K is ten thousand.

Anyway have now written the first 10K of this scene lol :)

23. Lothgar

Lothgar Contributing Member

That's my girl.

Get stuck in and have a go :)

24. Elgaisma

you have mail thank you for your amazing help would never have achieved it without you :)

25. twopounder

twopounder Member

Prototype it. This is a very analytical way to go about it (very odd for a creative art). If learning programming skills has taught me anything, it's much easy to complete a difficult process if you proceed in progressively more detailed stages.

Stage 1:
    Chapter 1 begins.
    Introduce main character at home
    Main character is making tea
    Friend arrives - introduce friend
    etc etc

Stage 2:
    Introduce main character
    Main character is making tea.
    Doorbell rings
    Main character answers it and discover's that it is her best friend
    best friend is crying uncontrollably
    Three men in a black van drive by slowly, watching the house.
    etc etc

This can help you plot out the scene and change things without re-writing paragraphs, especially if the content is stressful.