1. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Forget writing music; try ambient environments!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Wreybies, Oct 14, 2016.

I just discovered this little website that mixes different ambient background sounds that are themed after different story franchises, and lots of other concepts as well.

Want to feel like you're cozied up on that ancient, worn sofa in the Gryffindor common room, in front of the crackling fire, Hermione studying at your side, Ron giving endless sidelong glances because he's such a dunce? They've got you covered! I'm not usually one for gimmicks, but I really, really like this idea. :)

You can modify them on the fly, btw. Like, the one I'm listening to now has a bird that was constantly chirping. Too much. You can look for the loop that has that particular sound and click the Random button and set it to only play that loop every so often. It gives you different lengths of time to choose from. You can adjust the volume for each given loop; you can fade them left or right to give directionality. Best of all, looks like you can create your own combinations and save them!

You don't need to download anything if you're on a computer, just click and enjoy. There is a downloadable mobile app version for those of you who prefer mobile platforms for your writing

http://www.ambient-mixer.com/

Here are just a few of their top pics.

Screen Shot 2016-10-14 at 10.15.45 AM.png

2. Fernando.C

Fernando.C Contributor Contributor

I really love this. One of those things you don't know you need until you discovered it. Playing the Gryffindor common room one as I type this. This is great for putting me in the right mood for writing.
    Now if only there was a Red Wedding one in there, that'll help with..ahem...certain scenes in my WIP :twisted:

3. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

There's one called Fantasy Town - Varvale that I'm listening to as I edit my fantasy town market scene. It's freaken' perfect! :write:

You can modify them on the fly, btw. Like, the one I'm listening to has a bird that was constantly chirping. Too much. You can look for the loop that has that particular sound and click the Random button and set it to only play that loop every so often. It gives you different lengths of time to choose from. You can adjust the volume for each given loop; you can fade them left or right to give directionality. Best of all, looks like you can create your own combinations and save them!

Fernando.C likes this.
  4. Fernando.C

Fernando.C Contributor Contributor

Thank for the tips:) and I'm definitely gonna check out the one you mentioned. Right now I'm listening to one called Writing and Reading in the Den. It's haunting. It has a boys choir track along with the sound of a typewriter, a fireplace, a grandfather clock, and a few others. It's perfect for writing, at least for me.

Wreybies likes this.
  5. TheWriteWitch

TheWriteWitch Active Member

Will be using this - thank you!

There's also www.mynoise.net. You can calibrate it to your own hearing and also mix multiple sound generators together. Pretty amazing stuff and it is the main reason I am able to write at home.

6. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Wreybies likes this.
  7. A Culture Mind

A Culture Mind New Member

Ron.....Jeremy?

Wreybies likes this.
  8. Kara Gatsby

Kara Gatsby Member

Love this!

I have an app called Ambiance on my Kindle. 3500+ sounds you can mix together and adjust the individual volume of each.

A lot of them are pretty specific/obscure, which is neat. Not saying these in particular are ideal for writing, just a few interesting examples:

A-10 Warthog rockets firing
    Gwangjang market
    Gyuto monks tantric choir
    Crickets in Pont du Gau

Could be useful for someone writing about a place they've never been.

Wreybies and bonijean2 like this.
  9. cydney

cydney Banned

Very nice! Thanks @Wreybies

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
    Wreybies likes this.
  10. Becca Hodge

Becca Hodge New Member

I find YouTube to be a near endless source of ambient sounds and music to provide either inspiration or background to prevent that overwhelming feeling of solitude that you get when writing. In particular I use Cryo Chamber's channel a lot...

Wreybies likes this.
  11. Kitk37

Kitk37 New Member

I'm listening to the Jedi Temple on Coruscant. Thank-you for the link.

Wreybies likes this.
  12. A Culture Mind

A Culture Mind New Member

Hell, I love that. Most of the daytime I have no sound on. I just love the blank sound of the house. It's at night that I will oftenly have Steve Roach on. But not always. When it gets cool enough to have the windows open, I love the open sound of the neighborhood as it slumbers.....

13. Becca Hodge

Becca Hodge New Member

Oh no I could never do that, I have to have at least something on in the background, either ambient stuff when I'm writing or some of my eclectic music collection!

14. Kara Gatsby

Kara Gatsby Member

Anyone tried listening to isochronic tones while writing?

I've had good results with them for things like sleep and anxiety. Maybe it's time to check out some "creative focus" tones.

15. Jess Hughes

Jess Hughes Member

My inner Potterhead came out when I saw the Ravenclaw Common Room ambience... Ravenclaw's unite! Also, absolutely love this. I feel like music distracts me a lot, because I'm so focused on it.

16. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Contributor Contributor

I will have to give these a try, thank you ;)

Ravenclaw-Slytherin :cool: Do you feel definitively more Ravenclaw than anything else, or do you also have a close second?

Jess Hughes likes this.
  17. IsabellaS

IsabellaS Member

My little Ravenclaw-heart just skipped a beat! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

18. Jess Hughes

Jess Hughes Member

I have a bit of Slytherin in me also :D But yes I would say 80% Ravenclaw and 20% Slytherin ;)

19. G. Anderson

G. Anderson Active Member

This is lovely and just what I needed right now :) Any other Hufflepuffs here?