1. TheNewGuy

TheNewGuy Senior Member

Forgetting your ideas.

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by TheNewGuy, Jul 20, 2010.

If this is a little too silly or nonsensical for you, please, don't waste your time. That's not my goal ;)

I had an idea for a new novel/story, something different from what I am currently writing. I had other plans, so I figured I'd write it out after. I went to see Inception in theaters. Came back. Here I am.

I forgot my idea.

Is this a lesson? Should I try harder to remember it? Should I just give up and remember to write down good ideas before I forget?

I suppose I should do both. Have you ever forgotten an idea? Have you ever remembered it? How did it turn out?

Discuss.

P.S., I'll tell you if I remember my idea, and if you're the one to help me remember, I'll give you major props!

2. Langadune

Langadune Member

I'm from the part of Kansas that doesn't look like
    I try to jot down my ideas whenever they come to me. It's not always practical for me to carry a notebook but I've always got my cellphone. It has a notepad function and a voice recorder... either way I can quickly "protect" any ideas that come by me.

Don't give up on trying to remember your idea. It may come back to you, it may not; but who knows, you may develop another idea in the process.

3. Aconite

Aconite Senior Member

Obviously, my solution may not be practical for everyone, but...

I recently bought an Asus EEE PC running Linux for about $50 on EBay. I physically can't handwrite, so carrying around a notebook does me no good, and my disability makes texting impractical as well--but this tiny PC weighs about 2 lbs. and fits in my purse, so it works fine for me. I've known people who carry voice recorders, but this seems slightly less awkward to navigate to me. It seems to work so far for various bits and bobs of writing, something I've never been quite able to rein in previously owing to my particular issues.

With regards to the actual question: I have pretty lucid dreams; it always bugs me when I can't remember them as well as I'd have liked or hoped. With any luck the itty bitty Asus will negate that issue as well!

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I always have a pen on my person no matter where I am (except in bed). I also always have business cards in my wallet. If I come up with something I need to remember I jot it down on the back of one of those.

5. TheNewGuy

TheNewGuy Senior Member

Hey, my sister got an Asus E PC or whatever they're called. I was so jealous! I'm going to have to start carrying around pens/pencils if I'm going to actively write in the future. Still haven't remembered >.< something about a cell phone...

6. David Ann

David Ann New Member

If I don't remember an idea it probably wasn't good enough for me to write about anyway.

7. TheNewGuy

TheNewGuy Senior Member

Makes sense, but sometimes seeds of ideas can grow over time. I felt like all I needed was to get a Chapter 1 down. What bothers me is how good of an idea it seemed like at the time...(famous last words haha)

8. David Ann

David Ann New Member

I've forgotten some ideas and then have them come back to me later. When that happens, I know the idea has potential. I don't know if I have the potential to write it though :p

So if your idea really was good, it should come back home to ya. :p

9. Shinn

Shinn Banned

I always have my laptop with me, so it's easy to get it out and write down an idea.

10. HorusEye

HorusEye Contributing Member Contributor

I think the brain can sometimes play tricks on you and make you think you just had an idea you've now forgotten. Sorta like a writer's deja vu. "It's there...oh, now it slipped." Probably not much of an idea to begin with. More like a brain fart. ;)

Another thing is to have a whole scene play out in your head, with fluent dialogue and great drama, appearing like a movie while you're staring out the window. This is where a post-it pad and a pen comes in handy. Sometimes its hard to remember all the details even 5 seconds after it happened in your head, but you can train this ability. I try to grab keywords from the dialogue and keyframes from the events to serve as anchorpoints for when I jot it all down on my post-it. Still gotta do it fast, though - while the idea is still unfiltered from conscious editing.

If you've got nothing to write on at the moment (happens to me in the shower too often), then you'll just have to repeat it to yourself over and over and over until it sticks. Maybe say it out loud. Hearing yourself speak it makes it easier to remember.

11. jacktheknife

jacktheknife Member

Y'all,

I have paper and a pen 'right beside my bed' as I get some of my best ideas in bed.
    In 'bed', in my 'station wagon',
    paper and pen in the 'kitchen' too, in case an idea comes to me,
    and it helps with keeping track of groceries.

It helps to 'speak out loud',
    to 'say out loud' an idea, if you are without paper and pen.
    Much easier, to remember 'a sound' it is than a 'fleeting thought'!
    Being a musician, I do it all the time:
    "Self, remember such and such"
    It works!

Thank you...♪

J. Winters von Knife

12. Ron Aberdeen

Ron Aberdeen Banned

Ideas are the nectar of the Gods and you have a responsibility to catch everyone that comes your way.

Often they only appear once and sometimes just for a fleeting moment.

I carry a small tape recorder with me everywhere I go.

Currently on my computer I have over 100 story ideas, certainly over a couple of hundred character sketches just waiting for the opportunity to materialise as a person and probably in excess of a thousand lines of dialogue looking for the character and opening to fall into place within a screenplay.

Writers don’t just create when they are in front of their computer, they observe, note, record and improvise at every chance the Gods give them.

13. Garfiun

Garfiun Member

As soon as im hit by an idea, everything im doing gets put on hold and I start writing out the idea, then after ive done it I go back to were I was.

I also make sure there is always a pen and paper in the car (Some of my best ideas happen while driving) and I plan on getting one of those asus laptops as my current laptop is too big to carry around.

14. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Please tell me you aren't jotting down ideas while you are driving!

Get yourself a digital voice recorder, at least. Smaller than a cell phone, choose one that you can start and stop without looking. Many can be transcribed directly into a computer with voice recognition software through a USB connection.

15. TheNewGuy

TheNewGuy Senior Member

Wow, this is clearly the most responsive category of the forums!
    So, I came up with an idea of keeping a blank canvas open on photoshop, so that when I come up with scenes in my head I can use my PC tablet to draw them out. Kind of like a storyboard. If I can manage to print thumbnails or something I can stick them on a cork board or something.

A year ago I tried using OneNote to keep track of ideas, starting new pages for each idea, etc. Kind of got confusing, and since I'm not in the habit of opening OneNote things never tended to happen. But now if I hit the windows key+'N' a little OneNote sticky comes up. That's pretty cool, but I'M ALREADY AT THE COMPUTER, you know? I could just open word!

16. Ron Aberdeen

Ron Aberdeen Banned

BANG! x@/*$!>>>>>>>SSSsssss........

Not any more he ain't.

17. Wreybies

Wreybies The Ops Pops Operations Manager Staff Contest Administrator Supporter Contributor

I use my Notepad on my iPod Touch. Ideas have a way of treating my like teflon. If I don't make them stick, they don't.

18. satch

satch New Member

Ok here is a trick for such a situation. It happened once to me as well.

If you have an idea or situtaion or any sort in your brain at any time, just relate it over to some object ( code for your brain). For example once I was going to catch a metro train, I got an idea. At that time I was going down the stairs. I coded it as stairs. Later it helped me. It stayed as such in me.

Later if you want to retrieve that idea, you may get that straight, or atleast you can give a try with the code to retrieve it. :)

Good luck.