1. Norm

Norm New Member

Formatting a letter in your MS question

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Norm, Oct 23, 2012.

Hello. I've come across something I've never had to deal with before. In my current project, a character receives a letter. This letter is about paragraph length - taking up a couple lines. I have something like a block quote set up right now, and I'm wondering if that is the proper formatting for something like this in a MS. Anyone know?

Here's what I mean:

Thoughts, insights?​

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Yes, a block quote is the proper manuscript formatting. I'm not sure what you are trying to convey in your example, but you would not do any right-alignment. Everything within the block quote would be aligned on the left, about 1/2" inch more than the surrounding narrative. There is no first line indent within a block quote, either.

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

there can be an indent, if the piece of writing being displayed would normally be indented, such as with a letter... and the right margin would also be indented .5" more than the ms text, as well...

the block indent should also be double-spaced...